Where to buy fertilizer and lime-west central MN

• Marc Reynolds

Purchased land this spring and put in my first food plots in a bit of a rush, but got them in and are doing pretty good. My question is for anyone in west central MN, where do you get your fertilizer and lime? I went to a 3 different local country stores, feed stores and leaf river ag, in otter tail county and they all just sold 10-10-10. I was in a bit of a rush with the late spring and other commitments, so I went with it, but spent more money than I wanted to just to get the right amount of poundage in the ground.

They all told me that everyone around “here” uses 10-10-10 and I will be “fine”. Or you don’t need that much fertilizer.

I planted soybeans and clover and my fertilizer recommendations were 19-19-19 and 8-24-24.

I am just starting to think ahead for next spring if anyone knew of anywhere in the area to get better fertilizer.

Thanks!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Marc, this is why I’m a food plot seed dealer right in the middle of the metro area. Guys get tired of not being able to get what they want, when they want it from feed stores.

Sticker on this forum has a farm in Otter Tail County, so he may be able to give you a better source up there.

Personally, I buy all my fertilizer at Peterson’s Ag in North Branch and then take it with me to my farm. Obviously, this is a little more hassle, but Petersons is a real ag dealer that has the blends I need. I have feed stores that are closer to my farm, but I want to know I have my supplies with me and ready to go, not spend my time up at the farm trying to chase around and get fertilizer.

Lime is the same. I watch Menards and Tractor Supply sales emails like a hawk for the times in the spring when pelletized lime goes on sale. They I buy it by the pallet load.

In theory, guys will tell you to get the local co-op use their lime spreader to lime your plots. That’s easier said than done. I know a lot of guys who tried that route, myself included, and couldn’t make it work. Access issues, schedule issues, too wet, too dry, co-op guy got lost, put lime on wrong field, etc, etc, etc.

It’s more work, but at least when I’m buying and spreading the lime, I control everything. I spread about 1.5 tons per year of pelletized lime, it takes about 2 hours with the ATV tow behind spreader and then I’m done. The good news is that I can spread lime in the spring when it’s too wet to do much else to my plots. Makes good use of the time.

Grouse

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Marc– Professional Agronomy in Perham or Wadena will have what you need.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I go to New Horizon Ag in Fergus falls(1443 E Dougals Ave
    Fergus Falls, MN 56537) for all my fertilizer. Talk to James there, great guy. He will get you all set up.

For lime I normally buy my bagged lime at Menards and bring it with me to the farm. I do have one large plot that I had Leaf River lime for me one time.

tornadochaser

In Ottertail Co. I’d go with New Horizon as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.