Where have all the birds gone?

• mike mulhern

I see very few Robins in our yard this year, about a third of the redwing blackbirds in the swamp across the road. There are no sparrows in my farm shed. What gives in your country? Still got pigeons though.

Mike

michael keehr

I haven’t seen a Robin yet either. I’m in central mn. But I have had a pair of Orioles in the yard for the last 3 days

haleysgold
    SE MN

Hmmm.
    I’ve been saying this to my FW for about a month now.
    It’s not like we don’t see some but for Spring time…maybe 25% of the normal. A few robins, snow birds, couple cards but no even close to a normal Spring. SE MN Area.
    I really don’t get it. Very strange.
    Turkeys are thick as thieves though!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I can see on average a dozen different Robins during the day right now from any window in the house at any given time. We are located right near the Mississippi River. I’d consider this an average amount for us for early April.

There are quite a few research-based articles out there saying that the population of birds across North America is down quite a bit. I’m not necessarily noticing that, but I also know that I’m just one person and not about to question some of the people who study them for a living.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I turned some garden dirt today and had robins on it thick. We can’t hardly look outside let alone go outside and not see robins, mourning doves and red-winged blackbirds. Lots of gold finches at the feeders now and the males are almost fully turned…getting real pretty. Mating feuds should start real soon with the goldies. Tons of Red-breasted, hairy and downy woodpeckers too. A pileated stopped by last Friday.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

we have had tons of song birds, red wing black bird, and robins. more robins last week, but still everywhere. Lonsdale, MN

Deuces

No robins at the house. I go half mile to the river and they are there plenty. Lots of songbirds around here. Pretty cool to see em, first year putting out a feeder.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I hear the robbins but I dont see them yet. Had a “couple” chickadee swooping around one flew into the open window of the SUV. Opened the rear hatch to let him/her out. Their are sticking around. I swear while I was a the grill ten ft from me I had a conversation of mind with one of them. It was cool!

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Central Mn. Walked the woods a few times end of this week. Literally hundreds if not more Robins in the woods. Plenty of woodcock. Had some Bufflehead, Teal, Mallards, Geese, and even Bluebills in the ponds. Saw Redwings en route in the marshy areas.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Judging be the descriptions in the responses it sounds like many are still migrating.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we have plenty of robins, cardinals and a few Junco’s. few other birds, nuthatches and the like, even dang starlings that are constantly making a mess of the mealworm feeder. getting morning doves more frequently to now!!!!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We have a ton of birds around the SW metro, Robins, Cardinals, Chickadee’s, Ducks, Swans, among many others and a lot of predator birds lately too. It’s still winter a few hours north, so I think we are temporarily loaded up south of the snow line.

blackbay
    mn

We have a ton of birds around the SW metro, Robins, Cardinals, Chickadee’s, Ducks, Swans, among many others and a lot of predator birds lately too. It’s still winter a few hours north, so I think we are temporarily loaded up south of the snow line.

Same north of the metro too. I hear sandhill cranes nearly every day too.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can tell you Robins are concentrating at the food sources. Last week we were swarmed by them at our crab apple tree. No so many now but consistent. Lots of Juncos over the weekend too. Cardinals have set up territories in my neighborhood and have been in full voice. I am looking forward to the arrival of Thrashers. My personal favorite singing bird.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Same north of the metro too. I hear sandhill cranes nearly every day too.

We’ve had a male & female Sandhill crane in our yard for about 4 days.

basseyes

Lots of pushes of birds migrating. Here one day, gone the next.

Karry Kyllo

Lots of birds where I live in NW MN. Huge numbers of geese, ducks and swans as well as robins, songbirds and the grackles are back stealing birdseed and dogfood.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Filled the bird bath Saturday afternoon for the first time this season. Not 3 minutes later 2 Robins in there for fighting for first in!

-J.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

SE MN see plenty here, I guess normal.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just had a bluebird checking out the housing units!!!!!! waytogo yay

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.