Where are the Salmon?

• sodak
    Andover, MN

Any info would be much appreciated as I’ve only fished Superior twice now,
    I’m unloading out of McQuades Harbor,
    we’ve caught fish both trips but all of them have been Lakers?
    I’m running my gear from 20′ – 65′ down,
    fishing anywhere from 50′ to 260′ of water, using spoons, flashers, cranks….
    Varying my speeds, just can’t seem to find the Salmon?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Maybe try further up the shore or the island. As soon as the water started to heat up the salmon moved up the shore pretty much to find cooler water. I heard of a contest out of Silver Bay that showed some salmon but I was told that those fish came pretty deep.

There’s been some weather up that way and if any wind came from the lake to shore it could have delivered some much needed cooler water. I’ll be on the lake the last week of September.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Chequamegon Bay…..between Washburn and Bayfield.
    I know, but the number of salmon is about lowest on this end of the lake right now. Coho’s have worked their way up the shore to Grand Marais and beyond (Isle Royale) and there arn’t alot of fish looking to stage just yet.
    You will run into silver here and there, but hard to target them this time of year specifically.
    Just checked the UMD bouy data from off of McQuade. As of 15 minutes ago the temp was 47 degrees at 50 feet and 51 at 33 feet down. I would be fishing 20-50′ water, even running some stickbaits/xraps and a FF on a dipsey way out to the side on a 3.5 setting.
    Good luck, hope you luck into a couple salmon.

evobassfish

When can you expect to find the cohos in two harbors? Seen some videos of guys catching them at the break wall, looked like something i would want to try.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.