What’s your setup for cutting and splitting firewood?

• Reef W

Chainsaw thread made me wonder what gear and process you use for cutting firewood.

I don’t use much, and have at least a years worth already, but I’m starting to accumulate logs I need to deal with. Before I go and buy a bunch of poop I don’t actually need I thought it would be good to hear what actually works.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

We use the chainsaw and split it the old fashion way. By hand with the splitting mall.

Reef W

We use the chainsaw and split it the old fashion way. By hand with the splitting mall.

Anything you use at chainsaw step to hold it? Currently I have some bricks to get log off ground and kind of hold it in place but getting it higher would be nice.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I got a “cant hook” from Logrite and I love it. I can move some pretty large logs into cutting postions by myself. Really saves wear and tear on my aching muscles/joints.

Attachments:
    1. cant-hook-standard.jpg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Following…specifically the splitting setups.

I’ve got the saws and everything, but the new land we recently purchased has plenty of stuff to cut and split when the time comes. The rest of the acreage we just nip some small fallen stuff up to avoid splitting, but now it’s looking to be inevitable.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Anything you use at chainsaw step to hold it? Currently I have some bricks to get log off ground and kind of hold it in place but getting it higher would be nice.

no not really. Everything we cut is dead or the wind blew over. Just bend over and go at it with the saw.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Stihl chainsaw, cant hook, and a splitter that can be run vertical. In my opinion the vertical splitter is a must have and a back saver. A couple buddies is also helpful.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

X2 – It’s good for the soul.

buddah6

Kindling Cracker from Northern Tool and a 4# sledge hammer has been my go to for years. A 13 year old girl from New Zealand created it as a science project which is cool.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210830-193654_Chrome-scaled.jpg

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Might have to look into one of those kindling crackers

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Chainsaw for cutting and a splittin maul that runs off Busch light

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Split by hand

jon amundson

12-15 cord a year. Powerful 60-70cc saw and light double bit splitting ax, and heavy splitting maul. Haven’t found a splitter worth the effort other than a firewood processors. Too cheap to buy one and paying for it done might as well heat with propane. I buy logs hardwood and green by semi load. Cut in place stand up where I cut. Split most all as I want wife to be able to load when I’m gone on long fishing/hunting trips. Outdoor boiler so 30-36″ length. Usually get it done in 8-10 partial days 3-4hrs a day. Heated with wood my whole life. Settled as this being cheapest fastest. Use to cut out of woods but found it to be to time consuming and slow. Now only one machine to maintain (the saw) and faster. Semi stacks logs right next to stove. When we cut in the woods we had 2-3 pieces of equipment. Atv, sxs,tractor, skid steer, wagon. Still own all of these but nice not to tear my woods up getting to the stuff. Only cut in winter as it’s not enjoyable sweating in rest of year. Also my woods is not a manicured park like all of my neighbors who cut in the woods. Thick dense full of blowdowns makes a epic deer holding paradise. Maybe trim a couple truck loads of trees that fall on field edge a year but not going to gut my woods for firewood .

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Best purchase we ever made…splitter from Northern Tool. It’s going on about 12 years old now and still going strong. Yes, we still split by hand on occasion, but having the splitter lets my dad with health problems an opportunity to split some wood.

Attachments:
    1. 1C03E152-C353-4781-ABDD-CC24820F346A.png

2. A9E0BE0C-52FA-4DCA-BFB1-91CF32006461.png

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have four sets of two 2×4’s loosely bolted together (shape of a X) to have logs at waist level. Then to the splitter. Used to always split by hand but just can’t physically do it anymore. I split next to a firepit so the debris can just be rake into the pit and burned.

catmando
    wis

I split wood for years,used a double bit axe, the trick is to have one that is dull and I mean dull, A sharp axe sticks .dull very little. DK.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.