Whats new at Iowaboy1’s Shop

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Hey iowaboy1 when you fire up a 600 Verado lemme know in advance so I can put on my ear plugs.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have spent many, many hours on the dyno breaking in engines and tuning, best bang for the buck when trying to get every last hp out of an engine. Last one I worked on was a supercharged C5 that would run lean on #8, turns out that above 10psi boost it would run out of fuel. We thought this may have been the case but trying to watch the fuel pressure gauge while doing pulls on the road is a bit challenging at 120+mph, dyno is much safer and easier for this. Should be a great addition to the shop.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

10-4 message received Good Buddy! I’ll get with Bob.

As far as how long dynos have been out, I ordered a 1999 Lund with a 5.7 fuel injected MerCruiser 260 hp and the dealer slapped the dyno on it when I brought it back in for the first service. That was 23 years ago, so they have been around for some time.

Iowaboy1

So I have been playing with the dyno since I got it a month ago or so.
    I have used it on a couple of lower HP motors with fantastic success finding mid range stumbles, misfires, and a couple of fuel pumps laying down on the job, even found a suction leak after the tank fitting boat side when the primer bulb went to arterial fibrillation under load, usually I find that sort of thing by putting a clear piece of hose after the pump and can see the air bubbles in the fuel stream and trace it back from there.
    It was so cool to see the bulb do that!! and I apologize for using a medical term to describe it!!

The video I am posting is after bringing a 150 HP Merc Verado back to life after sitting for three years, no fuel treatment was used prior to storage, the fuel looked like?? well, you can imagine after many of my posts!!
    I changed out the water pump after performing a compression and spark quality test.
    I left the old oil in it as I didnt want a bunch of crap that could of possibly been sitting in the reservoir to pollute the new oil and filter if we changed it out first.
    And yes, I was confident the filter would catch anything stirred up and hold it there until I changed it out, no sense in wrecking new oil and filter!!

I hooked up my MEDS unit to monitor every sensor on this engine while doing a dyno run under load, I gotta tell ya, this sure beats the heck out of trying to do all of this while someone is driving the boat on the lake!!
    The engine had 195.68 hours on it.

This is the fourth run I made at 3/4 throttle, I wish I could say the guy in the video is my stand in as I know dang well I dont look that old and bald in the mirror, but alas, too many of you have met me and know better so I cant fib my way out of this!!
    The motor turned out great!!! and seeing as how its friday night, heres a toast to the guy who owned it and left this world too early, and another toast to his brother who brought it to us to bring back to life so it could be sold to someone who will take care of it from here forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izJ81smx-yM

glenn57
    cold spring mn

It says private video and won’t let me see it. I ain’t pressing my luck trying to get around anything for fear it might be sparklesonthewater running around butt nekked!! doah whistling

Sparklesonthewater
    Grinnell, Ia

Try it now, he took my video down and put the dyno one up.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Came through very clear!

stevenoak

I detest equipment that doesnt perform as advertised, sure, the stuff I originally bought served me fairly decent until lately when it cost me five hundred smackers when a plastic part failed.
    Without further ado, here are the latest two additions to the shop, hope I can stay busy enough to make the payments the next three years!!
    And I am still waiting on my dyno, dang it !!

With the new alloy wheels costing thousands of dollars. A inadequate tire machine doesn’t save you and money. Nice equipment. Still don’t miss working on cars. 50 years were enough.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Hey Iowaboy1
    How do you get enough water to cool the motor when you have it under load? I’m sure you can’t just use muffs but can’t tell by the picture. If I ever have problems think I’d make the drive across the state to look you up. Nice!

Iowaboy1
    Mr. Pike 81 wrote:

Hey Iowaboy1
    How do you get enough water to cool the motor when you have it under load? I’m sure you can’t just use muffs but can’t tell by the picture. If I ever have problems think I’d make the drive across the state to look you up. Nice!

Thank you Mr Pike 81 !!
    the flush muffs I use on Mercs look like this, they cannot come unpinned.
    In the video you can see one of my shop water hoses laying on the floor hooked to the Verado, one out of sight is hooked to the oil cooler on the dyno.
    My current water supply in the shop is almost adequate for supplying water via the half inch water lines, however, I have all new three quarter inch water lines and fittings just waiting to be installed very soon so I can run a motor much longer, and if need be, I cut a barrel length wise to submerge a lower unit if a long dyno pull is required to cool the entire lower unit so that the exhaust heat wont overheat the lower unit.
    With what I am finding by using the dyno, long pulls are not necessary as I can load a motor hard enough to bring a problem to light in short order.
    That said, dont think for a moment I am overloading anything, I know how much I can put on a motor without harming it or the dyno.

Stevenoak, thank you sir !! My first tire machine was of modern design for about any rim out there, what happened was the plastic bead breaker shoe cover broke allowing the metal part to come through violently and it cut the sidewall out of two tires!! pos!!
    So, I invested 18 grand in the best tire equipment I could afford to prevent any future problems.

EPG, I would of posted sparkles’s video but a certain pair of body parts were too big to fit in the shot,,,, so seeing only part of the show wouldnt have done you any good.
    You have met her before, and like that scene in the movie the rounders, the actor Glen Ford said, if she laid down, it would look an entire mountain range off in the distance!!

Attachments:
    1. Mercury-flusing-kit.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^ rotflol rotflol

Ripjiggen

EPG, I would of posted sparkles’s video but a certain pair of body parts were too big to fit in the shot,,,, so seeing only part of the show wouldnt have done you any good.
    You have met her before, and like that scene in the movie the rounders, the actor Glen Ford said, if she laid down, it would look an entire mountain range off in the distance!!

Was a legitimate laugh out loud moment.
    rotflol

Denny O
    Central IOWA

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

wait till he tells you his deer hunting story and meeting up with the iowa version of sasquatch!!!!! devil rotflol rotflol

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

OMG!
    That’s all I’m saying – OMG! applause rotflol

Denny O
    Central IOWA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>

wait till he tells you his deer hunting story and meeting up with the iowa version of sasquatch!!!!! devil rotflol rotflol

Wonder why I’ve never heard of this yet?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol he just PM’ed me the rough draft this morning!!!!!! waytogo clasic iowaboy stuff i tell ya!!!!!! rotflol rotflol

Denny O
    Central IOWA

^^^^^^^^^
    chased

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.