what’s a canoe worth?

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

i didnt want to invade Wades post, so…..what is a 17ft AlumaLine canoe worth. thinking about selling it as it hasnt been used in 15 years. i bought it with graduation money back in 1975. all i seem to do is renew the tabs. its been a tough decision as it does hold some sentimental value to me….but our family seems to have no desire to even have it up at the cabin.

i googled craigs list and cant believe what some people are asking for used canoes!!!!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

i googled craigs list and cant believe what some people are asking for used canoes!!!!!

That’s the truth!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I sold an Old Town a few years ago and the first response was someone telling me I wasnt asking half of its worth. That saved me a few bucks but I ended up selling it way too cheap. Guy that bought it was giddy.

vtec

Aluminum has gone up a lot. If your canoe is brand name and in decent shape you could start out around $700. I bought a 94 Alumacraft 17′ for $500 new, sold it about 5 years ago for $700.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

vtec…..i’m not sure if an Alumaline is a brand name. but the ones on craigslist werent either in my mind!!!!

my mom lives in Richmond Mn just up from the Caseys there and alot of lake people traffic head into town that way from the horseshow chain, so it will have plenty of exposure!!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Market place shows from 3 to 700 bucks. Depending on brand. Grumman is higher price. I have no idea on aluma line

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Post some pictures and may be able to better judge value? That said, unless it is a giant inconvenience to store and/or you want to throw the money from selling it at something else, then I would just keep it.

vtec

You’re going to be better off listing it on craigslist and facebook marketplace. That’s where all the hot buyers will be looking, and they will be starting to look now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Waldo I’ve tried taking pictures of it where it’s hanging in the garage but they suck, I can’t get a decent picture. I’m also at that point things need to get cleaned out, sold or just gone.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sell it during Crazy Time to maximize value. Prices on used boats and canoes spike between May 1 and June 15.

Impossible to guess at value without pictures, but it seems like 750 is the starting point for good condition non-leaking canoes. Have to be careful as there are quite a few cult models out there that canoers will pay huge $$$$ for, so make sure you know what you’ve got.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

if i sell it to someone from the forums, i’d hope to give them a decent deal. i’ll try and get somewhat of a decent picture later. and post it!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

This is the best picture I can do for now until I get it outside. The bottom inside of the canoe does have a green material that makes it not so slippery!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230222_112021349-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Hey Glenn, it looks heavy. wink

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Hey Glenn, it looks heavy. wink

rotflol it is for an old kodger like me!!!!!!!1 but i can still get it up in that storage rack!!!!!! waytogo

Gitchi Gummi

Glenn, it largely depends on what model of alumacraft it is. They have two models that are much lighter than the rest and they fetch a premium compared to the heavier models. I spent something like 2 years of searching before I found one of the lightweight models. They’re hard to find because they’re the lightest of the aluminum canoes and not everyone wants a kevlar.

Look in the bow and there should be a plate with weight capacity and model number (among other info). If your model is something like QT17CL or QT17W, you can charge darn near double any of the other models.

edit: sorry, I thought it was an alumacraft and not an alumaline. disregard the above

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

glenn you will have to give it away. Nobody wants a canoe that is upside down. whistling

glenn57
    cold spring mn

glenn you will have to give it away. Nobody wants a canoe that is upside down. whistling

rotflol rotflol

Look at the picture standing on your head!; whistling waytogo

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Who’da thunk back-lighting would make for a poor-quality photo? smile

OG Net_Man

Yep, a curtain on the window and possibly a flash from the camera would be better. Have to take the canoe down some time. When ready to sell take it down and take a decent photo would be a plan.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea curtains on my garage windows isnt really high on my to do list. doah

i’m of the opinion as of now its good enough as some thought a picture is wanted!!!!!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.