What you smoking??

• stevenoak

I just pour the water over the fish, head to tail. Don’t find it raises the temp of the meat any. If so, no more than filleting fish on an 85-degree day. Also, I try to catch them in the morning. Clean them and go direct to smoker. You could just scale conventionally. I just like the outcome of the skin on steaks. They also travel well in a cooler in the boat. The head is mostly a novelty, with a little meat.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I just pour the water over the fish, head to tail. Don’t find it raises the temp of the meat any. If so, no more than filleting fish on an 85-degree day. Also, I try to catch them in the morning. Clean them and go direct to smoker. You could just scale conventionally. I just like the outcome of the skin on steaks. They also travel well in a cooler in the boat. The head is mostly a novelty, with a little meat.

i have a couple friends that said you gotta try scaling a pike and fry it..its sooo goood!!!!!! they said do it with a real small one, the bones will go away.

well i tried……….never again!!!!!! only fish worth its weight in gold with skin on is a sunfish!!!!!!

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

You call that the short version Denny o ? The bacon looks great, my dry brine goes 9 days tops, looks like I should stretch it out a bit!! Especially on the cold smoking side!

Coletrain27

You call that the short version Denny o ? The bacon looks great, my dry brine goes 9 days tops, looks like I should stretch it out a bit!! Especially on the cold smoking side!

Last batch I made was only 5 days of brine and I thought that was a long time lol

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Not to step on DennyO’s toes.
    You can adjust salt and sugar as you like but you should be more precise with the cure. weigh the water and the belly and multiply by .oo25 for the correct amount of cure. (its easiest to use grams). Too much or too little can make you sick.
    Lots of suspect recipes on the web. search “Playing with smoke and fire” for more details

Jeff, I believe that you will find that the maximum amount of curing salt in one gallon of water is near to 3 times the amount that I use. Do a google of Pops Brine, you will find it in the “Smoking Meat Forum” he and his father ran a butcher shop and cured all kinds of meat for resale. Pops has now passed on but his teachings have been priceless. This web site SMF has a wealth of people that are of all walks of life. Some that I have followed are past health and food inspectors and show the science behind their recipes.

For instance I can smoke poultry (USDA standard min IT of 165 degrees) to an IT of 153 degrees and have it be safe. I’ve known about this and have followed it for years. Here is the latest guidelines for your reading pleasure.
    https://www.fsis.usda.gov/guidelines/2021-0014
    I am by no means an expert in this hobby but I am fairly well educated on the science and safe processes.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Dry brine takes less time, granted. The brine I use is more forgiving, uses way less curing salt and I’m not tied to too strict of a timeline. The main disadvantage is mine takes up more refer space.
    The brine I use can be calculated to 1 day for every 1/4″ of thickness plus two days. So a piece that is 2 inches thick the brine is acting on both sides going inward, the brine penetrates 1/4″ per day = 4 days plus 2 more in the brine for a total of 6 days minimum. I brine most items for 2 weeks, bacon, brisket and the like when cure is involved. It is in the bucket for longer when life gets into my road, it is very forgiving. When curing items that are 3″ or greater in thickness they also need to be injected as the above brine will not penetrate into the center well.

Dry brine is calculated on the individual meats weight and must be bagged separately, mine is for each gallon of water and you can full the bucket providing that all of the meats are of the same species.

stevenoak

Roadkill Chicken. First spatchcock chicken. Meat was very moist, nice crispy skin. Looking for poultry rub recipe. Without the heavy salt sugars and additives.

Attachments:
    1. 20220714_1712288815-scaled.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Roadkill Chicken. First spatchcock chicken. Meat was very moist, nice crispy skin. Looking for poultry rub recipe. Without the heavy salt sugars and additives.

Sexy look’in yard bird!

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Just finished my yearly batch of smoked salmon. Turned out great.

Attachments:
    1. 5E813E2C-1A6F-4253-B03E-AB51B82DF9B7-scaled.jpeg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

that looks terrific!!! Ive cold smoked marinated salmon before and my family loves it. wanna try doing some whole fillets like this too. What temp do you smoke at?

CaptainMusky

I have some wings on right now doing the 0 to 400 method. This evening I will be prepping a brisket to do tomorrow. Havent done one on my new Bullseye yet so I will be interested to see how that goes.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220715_130831678_HDR-scaled.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

Did a 10lb pork butt yesterday. 14 hours at 225…sooooo worth it..Didn’t get a pic but the bark was excellent.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Baby Back Ribs with last years garden green beans and seasoned with my pork belly bacon!

Attachments:
    1. 20190221_190758-scaled.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have some wings on right now doing the 0 to 400 method. This evening I will be prepping a brisket to do tomorrow. Havent done one on my new Bullseye yet so I will be interested to see how that goes.

“0 to 400 method” Please explain as I’ve not heard of this.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Baby Back Ribs with last years garden green beans and seasoned with my pork belly bacon!

Dent that meal looks delicious. Only missing some Mac and cheese

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>

Dent that meal looks delicious. Only missing some Mac and cheese

Bear, Between Denny O and Superdave1959, I cant lose any weight, both of those guys have some outstanding recipes for macncheese and smoked baked beans.
    Superdave sent me smoked salmon a while back,,, it is so good I cant eat store bought anymore, these guys are tops in the class!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bear, Between Denny O and Superdave1959, I cant lose any weight, both of those guys have some outstanding recipes for macncheese and smoked baked beans.
    Superdave sent me smoked salmon a while back,,, it is so good I cant eat store bought anymore, these guys are tops in the class!!
    [/quote]

I save all of there recipes. And I take all of there tips. I feel like I’ve dialed in my smoking game just following them on here. I don’t do fish but that’s my next step. And I’ll start with glenns northern recipe. I can catch 50 of those small slimy badtards in a few hours

stevenoak

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

“0 to 400 method” Please explain as I’ve not heard of this.

I’ll take a guess???? You put them in. Then start the smoker from zero temp. Then increase the temp to 400. Startup will give a “super smoke”. Then increasing to 400 will make the skin crispy. Although my smoker was over 100 degrees when I started it last week.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Dirk, Care to share the fishing report connected to these salmon? I’m headed to Algoma in 10 days. getting tackle organized.

Deuces

Picked up a hookah for a big shindig couple weeks ago now, blueberry mint, quite delicious.

No time for other smokes, look forward to the day when I do tho! Everything in here is drool city.

3rd Street tavern in St Peter last weekend had the best wings that were smoked then flash fried. Smokiness really came thru strong, awesome!

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirk-w. wrote:</div>

Dirk, Care to share the fishing report connected to these salmon? I’m headed to Algoma in 10 days. getting tackle organized.

I wish I could help but I can’t. I have a neighbor that goes out there once a year and brings me back my salmon. I trade him walleye fillets for salmon😀. Good luck.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirk-w. wrote:</div>

that looks terrific!!! Ive cold smoked marinated salmon before and my family loves it. wanna try doing some whole fillets like this too. What temp do you smoke at?

I tried to post the link but I can’t get it to work. Google “Smoked Meat Sunday Trout” and it’ll get you where you need to be. It’s his dry rub recipe.

404 ERROR
    MN

Didnt happen without pics. LOL

Here’s a leftover pic ha

Attachments:
    1. B0F32C7A-B0A0-4434-9A4C-A8991EC4DEBF-scaled.jpeg

CaptainMusky

I’ll take a guess???? You put them in. Then start the smoker from zero temp. Then increase the temp to 400. Startup will give a “super smoke”. Then increasing to 400 will make the skin crispy. Although my smoker was over 100 degrees when I started it last week.

yep, out wings on and set smoker to 400. Cook for about 30 mins and flip. Most recipes say to cook another 30 mins but I find that is too long so I do about 20 but cook to temp. Very crispy skin and great flavor.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stevenoak wrote:</div>

yep, out wings on and set smoker to 400. Cook for about 30 mins and flip. Most recipes say to cook another 30 mins but I find that is too long so I do about 20 but cook to temp. Very crispy skin and great flavor.

Would it be safe to assume then you are using a pellet smoker?
    Care to say which one?

stevenoak

I have a 22″ Treager. Can’t say I’m a huge fan. But I’m getting by with it. Have to keep the auger tube and the firebox/igniter very clean, or it will give you fits. Learning the 25-degree temp swings are normal. It smokes fine. Just thought something electronic would hold tighter range.

404 ERROR
    MN

It smokes fine. Just thought something electronic would hold tighter range.

The electric igniter on pellet grills shuts off after startup. It’s purely based off the auger system and temp probe. I’ve seen more than 25 degree swings. It’s temporary and drops quick. Never had an issue on 10-15 hour smokes.

Ripjiggen

I have a 22″ Treager. Can’t say I’m a huge fan. But I’m getting by with it. Have to keep the auger tube and the firebox/igniter very clean, or it will give you fits. Learning the 25-degree temp swings are normal. It smokes fine. Just thought something electronic would hold tighter range.

Again got confused by the thread title but anywho…
    Count me in as one that is not a fan of pellet smokers. Can’t dial in the one at the lake place compared to what I am used to. Beans twice mashed and last of the riblets to come off.

Damn triple picture.

Attachments:
    1. DB9560E7-99A9-4E73-82C9-BC901379597F-2-scaled.jpeg

2. DB9560E7-99A9-4E73-82C9-BC901379597F-1-scaled.jpeg

3. DB9560E7-99A9-4E73-82C9-BC901379597F-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.