What to put under a sled?

• IceFishing4Life

I have a Clam icefishing sled and was wondering what to attach under it to keep it from ripping a hole in the plastic? Especially dragging it across the parking lot at the launch and dragging it with a atv. Any help is appreciated.
    -Tight lines to all

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Hyfax. Cut off the first try. Clam should have hyfax made for your sled, order a set and put that on.

hamms
    Mn

Could put an Otter sled under it. Or a smitty sled. Google smitty sled for a cheap easy pulling sled.

Todd Henneberg
    Boyd, MN

We’ve bought old cross country skis and bolted them on.

Tyler Schaefer
    Southern Minnesota

wooden sled with metal skis, or tabogan

IceFishing4Life

Is the hyfax just a piece of plastic that lifts the sled a few inches off the ground. Also the smitty sled, do you bolt it on because it seems it sit pretty high and I would need to take it off after hauling it out? Thanks all for the help

castle-rock-clown

Hyfax raise the sled about 1 inch at most. Smitty sleds typically a bit more making seat height a bit high.

ElFuegoOnIce

I used pvc trim from mrnards. It’s 5/8″ x 1 1/2. Comes in 12′ length. I used a heat gun to warm it up and bent it to form to the sled. It works great. Just don’t counter sink the holes

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

We attached used snowmobile slides and attached them with rivets…

Mark

scott-k
    Red Wing

I have a Clam icefishing sled and was wondering what to attach under it to keep it from ripping a hole in the plastic? Especially dragging it across the parking lot at the launch and dragging it with a atv. Any help is appreciated.
    -Tight lines to all

Hyfax. Bolts on…unless you run it on a lot of pavement, will last a long time. Various brands will probably fit. Cuts with any power saw or hand saw.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I used pvc trim from mrnards. It’s 5/8″ x 1 1/2. Comes in 12′ length. I used a heat gun to warm it up and bent it to form to the sled. It works great. Just don’t counter sink the holes

Why would you not want to counter sink the bolt heads in? All the Hyfax I have seen were counter sunk.

hamms
    Mn

Exactly it would be dragging on the ice so bad.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Is the hyfax just a piece of plastic that lifts the sled a few inches off the ground. Also the smitty sled, do you bolt it on because it seems it sit pretty high and I would need to take it off after hauling it out? Thanks all for the help

Hyfax is about 1/2″ thick..
    Most Smitty sleds are made so you put the shack on the sled and bungee or strap the shack onto the sled….you take it off to fish….some very ingenious guys have have designed drop down sleds…
    Most make them to breakdown for easier transport,that’s how I’m making mine ( I bought a pair of Skis for $10 @ Goodwill)
    I figure I’ll have $20 into it after the hardware I’ll need to buy grin

Google it…..you will find all sorts of ideas…. wave

gimp

I have a large 2 man Clam and I installed hyfax on all the ribs of the tub. it added more weight but i use an ATV or Snowmobile all winter long and they are on their 3rd year and show no sign of wear.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.