What to pull back trolling??

• wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

We go up every year shortly after opener which is usually a jig and minnow bite, but I see a lot of guys back-trolling in the shallower water when they find fish. I have a new boat with a 4-stroke, and put some wave wackers on. I am wondering what people are dragging? Lindy rigs with plain hook W/minnow? Lindy rig with floater and minnow? Jig and minnow? Spinners W/ live bait? We drift with a drift sock almost exclusively, and really wanted another option. Thanks in advance guys!

Nut

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

For me it all depends on the structure that I am fishing, different structure, depths and time of year play a roll in what use.
    Also, if I have other people in the boat we all are trying something different until we figure what the fish want. Let the fish tell you what they want.
    On the opener if I am back trolling I have a jig and minnow. I usually have 3 people in the boat, depending on the water temp, we’ll different presentations with a minnow, leech and possibly a nightcrawler. With the 3 people it makes it easier if I have a jig and minnow, especially with 2 other guys that fish just once a year.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Winnie has a great jig/minnow bite that time of year. When the wind blows we have had days where we caught all of our fish in 2-4 feet of water. In my experience a jig with a shiner or fathead is better than anything else that time of year. If you notice some people dragging versus jigging, they could be just dragging the jig along the bottom. Some days the fish prefer it. My favorite is finding a wind blown shoreline, figuring out the depth holding fish, and the. Back trolling at that depth with the boat quartering the waves. Usually the fish are aggressive and don’t spook from the boat. Also the boat is zig zagging so the jigs aren’t necessarily right in the path of the boat either.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.