what to look for in barometric pressure for ice fishing?

• Bruce Keister

I’ve never paid much attention to the barometric pressure so kinda just wondering what a guy is looking for to decide when the bite might be good or bad.

M. Rowe

Funny, I just read about this yesterday. The article said to look for “steady” pressure. It said that fish were uncomfortable in high pressure and would be less apt to feed aggressively.

Just my thoughts.

CatchingAnything

I’ve been carrying a small barometer I bought at cabelas a few years ago to see if I could see any correlation. I haven’t noticed a big difference in open water – time of day seems to be a bigger deal. When Ice fishing I’ve grown to prefer lower pressures, but I think this may be light relatd as low pressure almost always means clouds – which will extend morning bits and make the night bite start sooner.

Uplander

We fished Saturday and Sunday this weekend, Saturday am was crazy with fish. Sunny sky and cold temps.

Today was overcast warmer temps, got my son out of bed super early, drove 1 1/2 hours to exact same spot and the vexilar was empty. We did catch a few but totally different outcome.

I am just learning this sport so wanted to chime in on our results this weekend. I am going to see if I can look up both days of barometric pressure.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Jason, did you try moving to shallower water? Fish may have moved much more shallow to feed with the oncoming cloud cover and warmer temps. Barometer is just one factor that can effect fish movements and feeding patterns. Another is sunlight; dirtier stained water may be more effective when the sun is out, while cloudy skies can reduce visibility enough to shut down fish movement. In either situation, changing depth when there’s a major weather change can often help you find the fish again.

Uplander

Good info thanks, we fished in 10′ of water Saturday, today we fished pretty much the same. Set-up in almost the exact same spot but had to move a few feet because of slush.

Did not try moving to shallow water but did move once and we caught a few but depth was similar

I thought today would be lights out since we got up super early and got set-up before sunrise

Barometer reading today 30.37

Bruce Keister

Great info guys, does anyone use the weather underground weather app? I can’t figure out how to get the barometer chart on it.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Great info guys, does anyone use the weather underground weather app? I can’t figure out how to get the barometer chart on it.

I don’t believe the app shows barometer. I use it in the browser version on my phone.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Yeah, can’t get it in app, mention it to the company, we can get it if enough people ask for it I’d bet

jaycowan

With the latest update to that app, the changes removed the BP readings that you used to be able to see the last 3 day history. Now it is not in the app. A buddy of mine said that he found it on the website however.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Here is an interesting article written by Todd Heitkamp, owner of Dakota Angler who is also a Meteorologist with U.S. National Weather Service.

Fishing & the Affects of Pressure Changes:
    https://www.facebook.com/dakotaangler/posts/10153523508849580

For checking the extended weather forecast such as wind, temp and pressure, I like using the Graph tab on Intellicast.com. It’s about halfway down is Extended Forcast under the Local tab. You’ll have to set your location.
    http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Forecast.aspx

fishinfool
    mn

intellicast is the bomb. Best radar out there and info is pretty accurate too.

FF

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

With this low pressure and the coldest front of the year moving through tommorow the bite will be on. At least in theory toast

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2016-01-07-22-13-27.png

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Intellicast does have an app but does not have the graph like the website, I couldn’t find the graph in the app anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.