What set up should I buy?

• Cameron DiMarco

Hey guys. So, I’ve fished for a few years, but not “fished fished.” I’ve caught just bass, northern pike, and the common bluegill, perch etc. I’ve always used my uncles poles which have just been the basic stuff and I’m starting to fish more on my own with my girlfriend and her poles which are also basic, and lost my pole about 2 years ago and want to invest in something that will last. I’m not super experienced when it comes to pairing reels with poles, and or casting/spinning reels and sizes. My question would is, is what should I get? My budget is around $120 for a complete setup, so it’s not too much to work with. I was looking at the ugly stik gx2 (not sure on size) and pairing it with a reel, unsure on brand and size of the reel at the moment and open to all honest opinions and options. I primarily fish in freshwater as well. Now, I’ve reeled in a large northern pike but the line snapped since it wasn’t braided. Should I get a braided line even if I were to use it even with small fish? I don’t want to go overkill but I also don’t want 2-3 poles with different setups. I just want 1 good setup with something for small to larger fish. Sorry if I sound like a complete novice when it comes to this! Thanks in advance!

Also, if anything goes over the budget of $120, don’t worry. I don’t mind spending more than that, I just ideally would like to be around that price 😅

CaptainMusky

You are going to have a real hard time finding one setup to fish for the range of species you say you fish. Pfleuger makes real nice reels and decent priced. I have a few Okuma reels that are really nice and werent too spendy. If you are set on just getting one new rod, then get a decent one geared toward the species you fish the most and keep your current ones to fish for other species.

FinickyFish

I’m a lot like you. I have basically the same setup for all my fishing. A medium-light 7ish foot fast action rod will be fun with small fish and works just fine for standard walleye and under 40″ northern. I bottom bounce, jig, live rig, and troll with it. It’s not perfect for everything but gets the job done. I think most people here will steer you towards a medium power but I have more fun with the extra bend in my rod from the med-light. The only thing it really doesn’t do well with is snap jigging. I’ve linked a combo that fits your bill but there are plenty others out there. I use 13 Fishing rods and reels and like those, but Fenwick works too. As for line go with a 10-20 lb braid. Braid is the best all around and doesn’t need to be replaced often (some say it gets better with age) then tie leaders of your choice. A 6-8 lb flouro leader is what I generally use. Good luck and happy fishing. https://www.scheels.com/p/pflueger-president-eagle-spinning-combo/8950-PRESSP30EAG6.html?cgid=fishing-spinning-combos#prefn1=Rod_Power&prefv1=Medium%20Light&srule=Price%20(Ascending)&start=1

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Go buy a 100 dollar rod, and pair it with a shimano sienna. 130 bucks and you’ll be able to use it for what ever you want. Once you get more in to the sport you will want nicer and nicer set ups.
    Or if you are near north branch, swing by and I can cut you a sweet deal on one of the 100 rods I have that sit around.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d look thru the Classifieds or FB Marketplace, I have a few St. Croix Premier’s that I got cheap used. Agree with the previous post about getting a Medium Light, and I’d go fast or extra fast action. Unless you do a lot of precise jigging, the reel is more important than the rod imo. Okuma and Pflueger both have some great reels at a reasonable price.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

You’ll get a bunch of opinions. But from what you describe you probably don’t need the high sensitivity of an expensive rod.

An Ugly Stik would work just fine. Pair it with a Shimano reel or a Pflueger reel. Pfueger Trion or President would be a good set up.

Cameron DiMarco

What would you recommend on reel size? I plan on going river fishing for walleye as well and honestly just want the best but affordable all around

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Joe’s sporting goods is having a big Fenwick/Pflueger sale this Saturday if you are close by FYI. Great opportunity to get a combo.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

A Pflueger size 25 or 30 is what I would look at.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

What would you recommend on reel size? I plan on going river fishing for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye as well and honestly just want the best but affordable all around

2500 size on the reel. I would recommend going with two rods. Tackle 13 makes a decent rod the defy series they can be bought at FF for $49.00 get two of those I would go Med Light for one and Light for the other go as close to 7 ft as you can for both and then pair those with an inexpensive reel the Diawa Revros is awesome and they run about the same in cost so yes you would have $200.00 invested but have a rod you can fish for eyes and a rod you can use for pan fish and enjoy catching them rather than hauling them over a the side with a 2×4.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’ll echo bearcat. Shimano Sienna, best $30 you can spend on a reel!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Stop by Scheels if your near one and look at there brand rod and reels, you will be able to get something nice for that price.

FinickyFish

Stop by Scheels if your near one and look at there brand rod and reels, you will be able to get something nice for that price.

X2 And the nice thing about Scheels branded equipment is there return/replacement policy. I haven’t bought a new rod in a while, but the next ones will be Scheels.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

There is nothing wrong with used equipment. There are many who have upgraded rods over the years and have good rods that they don’t use and are selling for cheap. Well cheap compared to new. Just make sure the guides are in good condition. Where are you located? I might have something.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.