What reels for Sturgeon?

• Ryan Harrison

I want to try and target some sturgeon this summer but don’t know what reel to use. I want to target some smaller sturgeon, not those ones that get to 8ft. are there any budget reels that you would reccomend?

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Garcia Abu 6500 80.lb super braid..

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Sturgeons smaller than 4 feet…not that big of a deal with say a reel like a Cardiff 400A.

Also for like spinning reels, any larger one. I used to run a Shakespeare Alpha XT spinning reel I think it’s labeled 700 and had like 20# mono on that reel. Slow and clumsy but it was a work horse for most catfishing and whatever smaller sturgeon that bit.

I also have a Shimano Stradic 8000 reel too. That’s for really catching big fish, but hardly ever caught a big fish on that yet.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My go to is 6500 and 80 pound

Let me know how a person can be certain the sturg will be less then 50 or 60 or even 70” when one bites.

The key to sturgeon fishing is being prepared. IMHO

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The key to sturgeon fishing is being prepared

Hey Brian I am considering a trip to the Rainy this spring to target sturgeon. I’ve never specifically targeted sturgeon or catfish. Would you say that a muskie setup is adequate? Like a 7.5 or 8 foot heavy action rod outfitted with a Calcutta reel and 80 pound braid?

blank

I want to try and target some sturgeon this summer but don’t know what reel to use. I want to target some smaller sturgeon, not those ones that get to 8ft. are there any budget reels that you would reccomend?

This might be the most odd statement I’ve read before.

gimruis,
    Muskie setups are plenty good for sturgeon. However, the heavier rods often don’t have a soft tip that will help with bite detection. But fighting a fish they work great.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

gimruis,
    Muskie setups are plenty good for sturgeon. However, the heavier rods often don’t have a soft tip that will help with bite detection. But fighting a fish they work great.

OK thanks

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

The Okuma ABF50 or larger baitfeeders are a good economical option for spinning reels. Mine did a 54″ last year and performed nicely.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

gimruis,

Bust your power noodle rod in half and tape it onto the tip of your musky rod. Fixed, supper soft tip and plenty of back bone. jester FishBlood has recommended a musky rod (Okuma evx musky 8’6″ telescoping Heavy action) that he uses for sturgeon in the past. When using my musky rod for sturgeon I notice two things. One I would have liked to have a softer tip and second the reel should have 20+ lb of drag.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Everybody who’s caught a sturgeon instantly an expert.
    whistling

Ryan Harrison

This might be the oddest statement I’ve read before.

How is this odd? I’m just trying to learn new fishing skills. Everyone has to start somewhere. So please tell me how this is odd. Thanks to everyone who gave some great reel reccomendations.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How is this odd?

I think he’s saying that it’s odd that you intend to target smaller sturgeon. You really have no control over whether a small or big one bites.

Ryan Harrison

I’ve seen videos where people fish the Fraser River in BC for the biggest sturgeon but I assume not all places in Alberta have sturgeon bigger than me. So that’s why I was looking for a suitable reel that will work for the smaller sturgeon that I am more likely to find.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Harrison wrote:</div>
    How is this odd?

I think he’s saying that it’s odd that you intend to target smaller sturgeon. You really have no control over whether a small or big one bites.

Correct. Also thought it was kind of funny with the idea to target smaller fish, rather than larger fish. Ryan, now based on your explanation of the Frazier River and you being in Alberta, I understand the context of your post and it makes sense. I apologize for the snarky remark. I was assuming you were looking to target lake sturgeon in MN.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Everybody who’s caught a sturgeon instantly an expert.

I personally am not even close to even an ok sturgeon fisherman. I do remember some of the tips that have been shared by others.

If you do a search on this site you will find many topics on this. Best of luck Ryan.

Attachments:
    1. FishBlood-Quote.png

3Rivers

I would never say one is better than the other, but I have really learned to love using a spinning reel. The Okuma Coronado has really been an awesome reel for both me and the guests I have in my boat.
    No expert here either, but I appreciate a softer tip too. )

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

When I’m prepared to catch big fish, all I catch are little ones. LOL.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.