What reel should I use for Muskies?

I’m just getting into muskie fishing and have an ambasseder, but that gear raito is too high, so I’m looking for a new muskie casting reel. Any recomendations?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a Calcutta D 400 series that I’ve used for years and its butter smooth, capable of handling and reeling large muskie lures at various speeds.

I have also heard great things about the Abu Garcia Revo Beast but I do not own one. Its basically a souped up version of a low profile bass bait casting reel. Maybe someone will chime in with their experience of the Revo Beast.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have a Calcutta D 400 series that I’ve used for years and its butter smooth, capable of handling and reeling large muskie lures at various speeds.

x2
    Calcutta are great reels. I have one going on 15 year of abuse and still works like butter. The 500 Tranx is nice but $$$.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If price is no issue I’d go with a Shimano Tranx. If you want a Great reel for less $ I go with a Revo beast. I think they can be found for around 200.00 these days

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Which ambassadeur? 6600 series with the higher 6x ratio? Sometimes it’s the tiny handles that makes it more difficult than a comparable reel with same ratio.

What’s your budget? what lures do you want to throw?

HMoshier

I’m running the Daiwa Lexa 400s in 6.3 and 7.1 gear ratios. Not too fast for a fish that can run down just about anything it wants. They all have the power handles. I use the Lexa 300s in spring when casting small bass crankbaits. All have been problem free for me.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’d get a Tranx 400ahg on eBay. I have 4. Great reels. I could see getting 6-8-10 years out of these. I don’t see any need going with the 500 size.

I’ve broken down my buddy’s 2-year-old Diawa Lexa 400(?) after the spool pin sheared off and the spool shaft somehow bent. That also looks like a well-made reel apart from the odd spool issues that will likely never happen again. I’m not a huge fan of the shape and size of the Lexa. I prefer the Tranx in comparison.

Another buddy has the Revo Beast and likes it.

Thanks guys. I’ m goign to go with the revo thuro beast. It’ s got the perfect raito for big bucktails and won’ t reel hard. Again Thanks for your opinions.

Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God.

Have a great day! )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.