What kind motor oil in outboards

• loonswail
    Ankeny, IA

I lost my Suzuki marine dealer to cancer so I am changing my own oil in my DF115 4stroke. Was wondering .. What motor oils and filters does everyone use and where do they obtain them? Thanx in advance. (discuss?)

Ryan P
    Farmington

West Marine is good too…Last fall I bought oil and a filter online from them and they beat Amazon’s prices. I run quicksilver because that is what is recommended by Mercury. Not sure what Suzuki recommends but I’m sure you will get a ton of different opinions on here.

404 ERROR
    MN

I would just use genuine Suzuki oil in the weight of your choice pending the temps you run the motor in. Primarily hot, go heavy. Primarily cool temps, go lighter. I am guessing when I say this, but I’m sure the dealer you had service it last was using genuine Suzuki oil.

Like Ryan said, there will be a zillion differing opinions on this topic. I always tend to use what the MFG recommends, as they’re the ones who designed the motor…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t think anything to do with boats is more over-thought than oil.

Use a good quality oil that is the recommended weight and certified for marine use. Done. Don’t think any more about it than that.

Very few recreational users put enough hours on an outboard such that they would ever see any difference between Brand X and Brand Y oils. Check it routinely, change yearly or when recommended, and enjoy life.

Grouse

fishingchallenged

I use Yamalube in my Yamaha. I only change once a year and the cost is minimal over the life of the boat. I would go with Suzukis recommendation if you can find it. Otherwise similar weight from another outboard company.

Just don’t switch to some automotive grade oil. Today’s cars love to run at 1500 – 2000rpm. My outboard loves to run at 5000 RPM. Or maybe it’s me that does that…

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I don’t think anything to do with boats is more over-thought than oil.

Use a good quality oil that is the recommended weight and certified for marine use. Done. Don’t think any more about it than that.

Very few recreational users put enough hours on an outboard such that they would ever see any difference between Brand X and Brand Y oils. Check it routinely, change yearly or when recommended, and enjoy life.

Grouse

X2!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.