What I'd really like….

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Is a list of Public Access locations that I can load into the GPS unit in my truck. The MN DNR has maps in .pdf format, they have Garmin compatible files on walk-in-access for hunting, etc. But I can’t find a file (.gpx) full of access locations I can load into the GPS. This would be really useful for those lakes where the brown public access signs end up in the dtich.

SR

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Navionics smartphone app shows launch ramps, but it’s a mix of public and private. But it seems to be reasonably complete and up to date. This has become my go to for finding accesses, it shows enough roads that I can usually figure out how to get there.

Grouse

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

The MN DNR also has an app for smartphones available that has public access information. However, I don’t (and probably won’t ever) own a smartphone, and I’d rather not fumble with a cell phone when I’m driving down Goat Path Lane pulling a boat behind me. I’d like to fire up the Garmin, tell it to take me to the access on a lake, and then just listen to the nice lady with the Australian accent tell me where to turn.

I just sent the DNR an e-mail asking them what they had. If they had a list of accesses and their coordinates, I could use EasyGPS or a similar program and generate a .gpx file on my own.

SR

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Consider me on the other side of this fence. Too much info nowadays, let’s keep the lil hole in the wall lakes secret to those in the know.

Those lil brown access signs do seem to disappear on the hotspots though…….it is illegal and would never think of promoting this, but I also ain’t ever stopped to put one back up right!

blank

Not sure what all file types you’re able to import onto your GPS, but I’d think the ESRI File Geodatabase file (.gdb) would be the most likely of those available. Otherwise there is probably a way to convert that file or a shapefile (.shp) to your .gpx format.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

No kidding, just sayin, it took a long time on this site to quit spilling the beans, why can’t people just go and fish somewhere without spreading it on the web,ugh, so much more to say but you get my drift, with a leech lol

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

No kidding, just sayin, it took a long time on this site to quit spilling the beans, why can’t people just go and fish somewhere without spreading it on the web,ugh, so much more to say but you get my drift, with a leech lol

You think finding a public access is spilling the beans? Really? In MN they already publish maps with all the accesses, so how exactly is this “spreading it on the web” ?

SR

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

No I don’t, its a great tool no matter which state

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ottomatica wrote:</div>
    I think this is the source of the data you need in GIS form.

https://gisdata.mn.gov/dataset/loc-water-access-sites

Thanks! Not clear how to use that data, but it’s a start.

SR

Yeah, I think we need someone with GIS software to export the data for us. There’s a contact for this data I would start there.

Otherwise I bet someone on IDO knows GIS. Maybe you could make a new post asking for help on that.

If you get this converted let me know. I would be interested in this as well.

smalls
    Lake City, MN

I used the free converter here.

http://converter.mygeodata.eu/#top

Just as a heads up all DNR Data is in UTMs instead of Lat Long so unless you specify a Lat Long or at least non UTM output you get scrambled results. I haven’t had a chance to check the file but this should work.

Apparently a GPX file won’t attach, but this site should work. You have to add all of the shapefile components by browsing to each one separately in the upload stage before you do the conversion.

Output is likely best as WGS 84

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Which file did you upload and which conversion operation did you choose?

smalls
    Lake City, MN

Download the Shapefile option from here.

https://gisdata.mn.gov/dataset/loc-water-access-sites

It is a zipped file. Inside there are 5 files you need to upload. They have the extensions:
    .prj
    .sbn
    .sbx
    .shp
    .shx

When you are done you will have all 5 files loaded into the “Upload your data files” box in the upper left hand corner.

Click submit query and the files will load, and the points will display on a map.

Target Vector Format choose GPX – GPS Exchange format

Select “WGS 84” for output coordinate system and click convert now.

Click download results and wait for the 30 second ad.

Choose where to save the file. It should be a folder with a GPX file inside of it.

If you have a bunch of files to convert the MN DNR produced a free gps data converter called DNRGPS that is available here.
    ftp://ftp.dnr.state.mn.us/pub/gisftp/DNRGPS/dnrgps.zip

documentation is here
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/DNRGPS/DNRGPS.html

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I’ll give it a try, thanks!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I **think** I did it right (I am in way over my head here) and what I ended up with is flag icons and coordinates, but no names or physical descriptions. When I load this into my GPS, it doesn’t have anything to search for.

I’m guessing operator error whistling

SR

smalls
    Lake City, MN

My guess is you did it right, but the basic software running the online converter only keeps the coordinate fields. I will try to play around with the DNRGPS software and see if I can get that to preserve names.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.