What essentials do I need?

• Reef W

I’ve never deer hunted and am going to give it a shot this year. In the event I actually get one what stuff do I need to gut it and get it to a processor? If you have any product recommendations for not the best but not crap stuff I’d appreciate it!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Essentially…you only need a buck knife.

Helpful tools for me:
    Sagen hunter deer saw
    Butt out
    Gut’en gloves (yes- I’m a wussy)
    Gambrel system (hide removal)
    Skinning or filet knife (hide removal)
    Ziplock bags or ice cream pails (for the meat)

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

For whitetail, I keep it very simple for field dressing. I have a good pocket knife that keeps a good edge. I keep in a ziplock bag cheap vet gauntlets and surgical gloves. Put the surgery gloves over the gauntlets, that way they are tight on your fingers and you feel everything. Then I have another small ziplock with baby wipes. I got past having bloody sleeves about 30 years ago. Quick and fast clean up.

Oh, and. Have a couple of the cheap thin grocery bags. Don’t leave the gloves in the field. Trash in the Wally bags and dispose of properly

Mike m

Buck knife , bottle of water to rinse your hands when done . Keep it simple

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have been using the shoulder-high gloves in addition to the surgical/rubber gloves the past few years. It helps keep blood off my sleeves when I have to dig inside the body cavity and field dress a deer. They have an elastic cuff at the top so they stay up too.

Reef W

Thanks everyone. I’ll definitely get gloves and the tools look pretty simple so I’ll check that out.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Essentially…you only need a buck knife.

Helpful tools for me:
    Sagen hunter deer saw
    Butt out
    Gut’en gloves (yes- I’m a wussy)
    Gambrel system (hide removal)
    Skinning or filet knife (hide removal)
    Ziplock bags or ice cream pails (for the meat)

x2 Buck knife is all you need essentially. I also like a saw for the tail bone, and gloves are nice. If you are getting it processed, a jug of water to rinse it out is appreciated by your processor and saves you from any add-on fee’s for a dirty cavity.

Greg C

A length of rope to drag with

Brad Dimond

Basics are well covered above. A decent folding knife with a good grip – 3 inch or so blade, wet wipes rather than water and a drag rope get you 80% of the way done. The rest are nice to haves. I personally am a fan of gloves, butt-out, two one-gallon ziploc bags (older guys in our crew love the liver and heart), as Randy suggested a plastic bag to pack out your garbage.

uninc4709

instead of purchasing a saw for the tailbone, we always just use a hatch.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Along with a decent knife and a Sagan Saw, a gallon ziploc bag. I like to take the tenders out right away and save the heart. If you want to try that or add it to the grind meat.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Not a bad idea to have some bandages incase you cut yourself while gutting the deer. I usually have some zip ties too to tag secure the tag on the deer.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

It would likely be very beneficial for you to have a hunting partner who has done it before that way you learn and may also get some help dragging out, at the cost of some beer and some of the tasty venison treats you make. Party hunting is a tradition as old as man and it’s a great way to hunt.

Zip-locks are nice but many people myself included have a large surplus of plastic bags from the grocery store in a closet. I always have a few with me when hunting and fishing, whether for trash, meat, emergency water gathering, really whatever you may need a plastic bag for they take no space and are free.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I started using a knife that had a gut hook on it about 5 years ago and now I wonder why I didn’t get one sooner. So much easier and safer to open up the cavity.

If you’ve got to do any dragging a sled is well worth it, I bought an otter sled a few years back, another product I know wonder why I waited so long to get one. Easier to pull to wherever I can pick it up with a vehicle/atv and a lot easier to load the sled with deer inside into a pickup bed and keeps the animal cleaner.

Find a processor who will take whole carcasses ahead of time also if you do not plan to render it down prior. I wouldn’t go for the bottom dollar guy either, I’d rather not have the guy whose hands go right from picking dingle berries to touching food I plan to eat.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ve never deer hunted and am going to give it a shot this year. In the event I actually get one what stuff do I need to gut it and get it to a processor? If you have any product recommendations for not the best but not crap stuff I’d appreciate it!

Where are you hunting? We could offer insight on a good meat processor in your area too…

Charles

There is a little pamphlet you can get it that is water proof, incase you forgot how. I got one from my dad, just case.

I carry the butt out, knife, zip ties, paper towels, baby wipes and limb/bone saw.

Reef W

It would likely be very beneficial for you to have a hunting partner who has done it before that way you learn and may also get some help dragging out, at the cost of some beer and some of the tasty venison treats you make. Party hunting is a tradition as old as man and it’s a great way to hunt.

Probably will be, I haven’t checked who wants to go yet. This will be at or around the property I got last year so If nothing else the cabin neighbors will all be around. I at least wanted to get some gear so it looks like I’m trying when I get them to do it all for me lol

Find a processor who will take whole carcasses ahead of time also if you do not plan to render it down prior. I wouldn’t go for the bottom dollar guy either, I’d rather not have the guy whose hands go right from picking dingle berries to touching food I plan to eat.

Where are you hunting? We could offer insight on a good meat processor in your area too…

In Embarrass. There is a local family that does everybody’s in the area from what the neighbors told me and they said they did a good job… I’ll get the details next time I’m there.

If you’ve got to do any dragging a sled is well worth it, I bought an otter sled a few years back, another product I know wonder why I waited so long to get one. Easier to pull to wherever I can pick it up with a vehicle/atv and a lot easier to load the sled with deer inside into a pickup bed and keeps the animal cleaner.

I already have my sled and a gorilla cart up there!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Don’t forget zip ties or rope, something to attach the tag to it where it dies. Don’t drag it even a little ways, or you can get ticketed….even on private property…even less than 100 yards from where it died and was gutted.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Buck knife and rope. A game cart is nice for public hunting. I like having someone help me get them in the bed of the truck, too.

Reef W

Don’t forget zip ties or rope, something to attach the tag to it where it dies. Don’t drag it even a little ways, or you can get ticketed….even on private property…even less than 100 yards from where it died and was gutted.

Good to know, thanks!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Don’t forget zip ties or rope, something to attach the tag to it with where it dies. Don’t drag it even a little ways, or you can get ticketed….even on private property…even less than 100 yards from where it was gutted.

I agree with this, but…I think they changed this law a few years back. If you are with the deer and moving it manually, you don’t need to tag it. silly, but i think its to help with tags falling off???

Reef W

I agree with this, but…I think they changed this law a few years back. If you are with the deer and moving it manually, you don’t need to tag it. silly, but i think its to help with tags falling off???

Currently says:

A person may move a lawfully
    taken deer from the site of the kill
    without attaching the validated
    tag to the animal only while in the
    act of manually or mechanically
    dragging, carrying, or carting the
    animal across the ground and while
    possessing the validated tag on
    their person.
    The validated tag must be attached
    to the deer when the deer is placed
    on a motor vehicle or an ATV, a
    vehicle or a trailer being towed by an
    ATV or brought into a camp, yard or
    other place of habitation.

Greg C

Just have to validate the license at the kill site

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I field dress with knife.
    I do not cut pelvis. Completely unnecessary if you start with the anus.

Home made deer drag= 5″ length of 1″ pvc(handle) and paracord. I gift these to everyone I hunt with.

At ‘home’. Winch to hang deer. Skin with same buck knife.

Tarp in truck to contain blood.

I hunt cwd, so I debone immediately or same weekend. I bring a table, ziploc gallon baggies.

That’s it.

Never worn a glove.
    Wipe hands in grass or on hide.

Unfortunately I’m first on all my friends list to call to butcher a deer.

Did anyone mention beer?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I hunt cwd

Valid point as there are special carcass movement restrictions if you are hunting in one of those designated CWD zones.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

You tube the Gutless method. I have been doing it that way for a number of years, my favorite and cleanest way of gutting .

Brad Dimond

FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:
    Did anyone mention beer?

Solid question but it only comes out after the firearms and sharp objects are put away. I can then enjoy more than one beer.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m in the straight non folding camp with a 4 to 5 inch sloping pointed blade. Easier to clean with the fat and blood not getting into the folded areas. I prefer the little longer and more slender knife for cutting around the anus from both inside and back side. Same knife rips through the rib cage with ease.

Tarp and above cuff heaver cleaning gloves have a gallon of water mixed with alcohol back at the truck for sanitation.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yeah I don’t cut into ribs either. No bones are necessary to break or cut.

Roll up that sleeve and reach on up into that cavity for the esophagus.

Been using a 5″ buck knife for everything from gut through trimmimg for my whole life.

Everyone who’s seen me gut a deer quickly changes their habits. Go knife deep around the Anus as first cut, then go into the cavity. When done with cavity roll guts out and the anus will be attached, unharmed, and will fall out with the gut pile.

Then you have a deer that likes to keep their legs closed applause and doesn’t invite dirt when dragging, same with cavity, open as little as needed.

Some of that knife work is ‘in the dark’ so once the anatomy is familiar you can make real quick work of a deer. 5 minute gut job. 5 minute skin. 1hr debone, 1hr final trim.

Then there’s the gutless method, which I honestly should give a go.

Enjoy friends and company during and between all parts! Most important

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.