What do you do when the water comes up on rivers?

• fred bartling

About 10 days ago I had really nice success fishing smallmouth on the O’Brain Stretch of the St. Croix. The current was perfect for fishing tubes close to shore on rock rubble. Also could turn fish on jerk baits. This week the current in up and many of the places I fished are a little more difficult due to flow.

All of a sudden its a bigger river and definitely more of a challenge for me to catch fish. What are your thoughts about how I should change up?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Find the same amount of current you were catching them in before. Where you are casting, not where your boat is.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

They’re more than likely pretty close to where you were catching them before. You’ll want to keep an eye out for current seams and eddies. They’ll be sitting in those areas waiting for bait to cycle in.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The bite sure was toigh for us last Sunday north of Osceola. Never did try crawlers but they always seem to bite on them. Ill have to keep a eye out for you out of the state park. Been using that ramp a lot this summer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The bite sure was toigh for us last Sunday north of Osceola. Never did try crawlers but they always seem to bite on them. Ill have to keep a eye out for you out of the state park. Been using that ramp a lot this summer.

I fished north of franconia all weekend and camped at the peasly spot like I always do. Stop in some time.
    But we did very well on a pretty solid mix of walleye smallies and sheephead. All off artificial bait. Only live bait i use is for the big cats

Tim Chrouser

I believe the fish tend to move up with the rise. There’s a lot to eat up there that they rarely have access to. I would try up near the bank…where there’s still “some” current.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Fish higher

River goes up, fish move up. Water goes down, fish move down

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Fish higher

River goes up, fish move up. Water goes down, fish move down

Can you elaborate more, Randy? Pool 2 is lowest it’s ever been when I’ve fished it. Most of the fish I’ve caught have been shallow still…..4 to 6’. I moved deeper the last couple times thinking low water, high temps the fish would look for deeper, faster water. Not a fish to be had deeper.

I know there are a lot of variables but my experience lately has been always look shallow.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike W wrote:</div>

I fished north of franconia all weekend and camped at the peasly spot like I always do. Stop in some time.
    But we did very well on a pretty solid mix of walleye smallies and sheephead. All off artificial bait. Only live bait i use is for the big cats

Will do. We fished right at that campsite on Sunday.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.