What difference 7 days can make on water temps

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

The water coming thru the Kilborn dam at Wisconsin Dells is 10 degrees colder than it was one week ago.
    It’s no wonder Lake Wisconsin froze over so fast this year.

Attachments:
    1. USGS.05404000.07.00010..20141111.20141118..0..gif.png

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Joel, I was a bit dumbfounded to see ice floating down the river Sunday afternoon when I crossed over the 94 bridge. Been awhile since we had this much ice developing so soon.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

No doubt. This was the earliest that Lake Wisconsin has froze over in a long time.
    Sure would have been nice to get in a few more weeks of open water fishing.
    Oh well. Not much a guy can do but live with what mother nature throws at you.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Or move, which is more appealing every time winter arrives.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joel-ballweg wrote:</div>

Or move, which is more appealing every time winter arrives.

That’s a definite option after retirement in another 10-11 years. Just for a couple winter months anyway. Some of that coastal fishing Greybeard does sounds pretty good in the middle of January.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Global warming at It’s finest for sure. Breaking ice to fish before Thanksgiving sucks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

30 degrees in Florida tonight. Jamaica is sounding pretty good about now. )

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If this keeps up, I’ll miss out on Dec harbor fishing too. Milwaukee river froze over……. Better order the auger extensions now

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I received text message pictures of someone ice fishing in Racine. They caught a king through the ice. How often can somebody say they did that?

jake47
    WI

I received text message pictures of someone ice fishing in Racine. They caught a king through the ice. How often can somebody say they did that?

I know nothing about ice fishing for salmon/trout so why is this such a unique occurrence? Do the kings usually move to deeper water before the ice up? Are they typically not caught in general through the ice?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Schultz wrote:</div>

I know nothing about ice fishing for salmon/trout so why is this such a unique occurrence? Do the kings usually move to deeper water before the ice up? Are they typically not caught in general through the ice?

It was a mature salmon that in a normal year would have already been up river, spawned, and dead.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.