bigpike

Johnson silver minnows
    #5 mepps spinners
    6″ suick
    Pixie spoons
    Doctor spoons

Various colors on all.

tim hurley

Anything that efficiently moves around where they are- and that usually is a spinnerbait. On any given cast a plug might be as good or better but if half the cast is wasted because it is fouled by weeds then its not worth it. But a trolled plug on a weed edge could be great-weeds can be too thick for a spinner, then froggy might be better. keep ‘er moving, flashy, noisey etc. I thought I had the perfect spinner for a lake and my partner pulled out a buzzbait with a huge bright orange blade and he started out fishing me big time.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I would buy 5 perch colored Super Shad raps waytogo

And if you saw my tackle box I’m honestly not joking…

Will

bigpike

I would buy 5 perch colored Super Shad raps waytogo

And if you saw my tackle box I’m honestly not joking…

Will

Just got back from Nipigon. Wind wind and more wind. That being said 32″-37″ pike were just crushing super shad raps trolled on 10′-20′ basin. Biggest pike 43″ and 46″ were taken on #5 mepps spinners around cabbage beds.

Brad Dimond

Spinner with split tail
    Large Daredevle Red Eye
    Rapala original #11 firetiger
    3/8 oz. jig with large twister tail
    Daredevle Five of Diamonds

patk
    Nisswa, MN

6-7” white plastic swim bait

any particular ones you like?

top 5, you mean only 5? Too hard, okay if I don’t to pick exact colors i’ll try devil

1 bucktail Mepps giant killer
    2 daredevle 1oz
    3 spinnerbait around 1oz
    4 Husky jerk 14cm
    5 Deep Tail Dancer
    Honorable mention Rapala BX jointed minnow

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

1. Doctor spoon
    2. Hopkins spoon
    3. Kush spoon
    4. Daredevle

Can you tell I love throwing spoons for pike. My favorite way to fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Pretty much any moving lure

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Pretty much any moving lure

Yup. I never intentionally fish for them toothy critters but it seems they like just about any lure I throw. I bet pike and snags are more expensive than ex-wives!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

1. Spoons – variety from Daredevle, Kastmaster, Swedish Pimple, Krocodile…
    2. Inline spinner – Typical Mepps, Blue Fox, Rooster Tails,
    3. Jerkbaits – Husky jerks, X-raps, Bomber Long A,
    4. Jig Head + soft plastic – Northland Mimic Minnow, anything 4″ plastic and up.
    5. Spinnerbaits…whatever I get my hands on…Stanleys, Strikeking, Booyah
    5. Slider/stick baits…Salmo Slider, Rapala Subwalk, Storm Flutterstick, Yo Zuri Edge trembler minnow.
    5. Joe Bucher depth raider, top raider,
    5. Salmo Pike, dinner bell,
    5. Rapala Super Shad
    5. Salmo Giant Chubby Darter
    5. Rattle Trap

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    6-7” white plastic swim bait

any particular ones you like?

top 5, you mean only 5? Too hard, okay if I don’t to pick exact colors i’ll try devil

1 bucktail Mepps giant killer
    2 daredevle 1oz
    3 spinnerbait around 1oz
    4 Husky jerk 14cm
    5 Deep Tail Dancer
    Honorable mention Rapala BX jointed minnow

I like the 3/8 oz GT360 baits. They have very good action. Also, Zoom makes a large fluke style bait. I rig them like a bass bait and twitch them slow around weed patches. Seeing a pike crush one of those on the pause is awesome.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Just got back from Nipigon. Wind wind and more wind. That being said 32″-37″ pike were just crushing super shad raps trolled on 10′-20′ basin. Biggest pike 43″ and 46″ were taken on #5 mepps spinners around cabbage beds.

Really interesting a # 5 does not seem very big for such big fish. I will add to my arsenal for next trip as some really nice notherns you caught. I guess I am lazy as I used to pitch the shorelines for pike and have found a few spots where I dead bait sucker meat under a bobber. Pretty laid back fishing and catches the biggest pike of the trip each year. I have a lure that they don’t make anymore for muskies called the pig. It catches pike like nothing I have seen before. The interesting thing is all my buddies ran out and bought one but the one I have outperforms all the others. I guess got lucky and has the right action.

buschman
    Pool 2

An empty beer can
    tin snips
    wire leader
    pair of treble hooks….

Brendan Andrews

1- 4.8 or 5.8 inch keitech fat swing impact swimbait in sun gill or another perch color on a weedless swimbait hook
    2-3/8 oz dirty jigs no-jack swimjig in perch color with a 4.8 keitech trailer
    3- river2sea s-waver 168 in light trout or perch
    4- 4” phantom softail glider
    5- Rapala jerkbaits, could have a top 5 with just these as I use original floaters, husky jerks, shadow raps, countdowns, and others. They all have their own time and place.
    My 2 biggest this year were a 41” on the 4” phantom glider and a 44.5 on a size 13 original rap with stock hooks, pretty proud about landing that with such light wire hooks

Cptndeez

Do you bother with adding a trailer or a skirt to your Doctor Spoons? Ever change out treble hooks with a single hook? I’ve heard of others trying this.

FryDog62

Do you bother with adding a trailer or a skirt to your Doctor Spoons? Ever change out treble hooks with a single hook? I’ve heard of others trying this.

I haven’t, Doctor Spoons have always worked for me pretty much the way they are. A top pick for pike fishing for me… unless there are weeds then I prefer a chatterbait (with trailer). Doctor Spoon flashes more, but a chatterbait is more weedless and pisses ’em off when nothing else works.

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

We fish in Manitoba. They have been barbless up there for about 25 years. We run 3/0-5/0 single barbless hooks on all or spoons. Seldom lose a fish due to being barbless. More weedless. Also easier to remove from yourself!!

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

We fish in Manitoba. They have been barbless up there for about 25 years. We run 3/0-5/0 single barbless hooks on all our spoons. Seldom lose a fish due to being barbless. More weedless. Plus if you get one in yourself they come out easy.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.