What a future Livescope version will likely look like…

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Since this Flexview tech currently costs $50k I don’t expect to see it in an affordable consumer version for several years, but it’s so cool to see what’s already possible with this type of technology, who knows maybe we’ll see this as Livescope 3.0 several years from now? From what I’ve read online, the transducer appears to be the size of a carry-on suitcase, so we have a ways to go to shrink down the tech and computing horsepower needed to display it…

Charles

So cool.

The problem, your going to need atleast a 12″ up front with a damn good screen to see in the light. Would be neat to see if anybody actually comes up with a 360 live version.

Slabhunter

I’m really torn with this newer technology….how is all this going to affect fish populations, will this make taking limits by the masses easier, will limit numbers need to come down, etc? The times I’ve been out with friends who have the panoptix it makes it so easy to locate and catch fish, and when in groups we all limit out quite easily and had we not had a guy with panoptix pointing us to the fish we probably would have caught fish anyway…but not all limits; or does the DNR calculate needs with the idea catch rates are at limits? It is awesome technology that will continue to even get better but…..

JoeMX1825
    MN

it absolutely is getting out of hand compared to what we were using tech wise 5+ years ago…I don’t keep anything I catch (I realize there’s likely some minor hook mortality by me) but those who keep everything pose a huge risk of depleting the fish populations…The limits will likely need to be heavily dialed back to counter the purge…

CaptainMusky

That is amazing! Technology advances tenfold year over year it seems. I wouldnt be surprised to see that in a reasonably affordable solution within 2 years. I mean, remember the crappy videos of the Lowrance LiveSight only a year ago? Look where that is now with ActiveTarget that just came out. Its remarkably better than the first variation.

The technology is a tool, by itself it doesnt make fish bite that is still up to the angler to close the deal. Yeah, it makes things easier, but you still have to catch them.

I am more worried about the miles of plowed roads and wheelhouses on lakes for days on end than any single piece of electronics. That does more damage to fish populations than this will.

futurepoorperson

Wow….That’s an eye opener.
    Technology rocks.

I recently sold my Garmin set up, I fished a season with it, & truly enjoyed it.
    But due to the fact I had to do plumbing on the ice to get it set up, over time it slowly just became an inconvenience & I became annoyed in that aspect only.
    I’m sure I’ll circle back to it again in the future.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wow….That’s an eye opener.
    Technology rocks.

I recently sold my Garmin set up, I fished a season with it, & truly enjoyed it.
    But due to the fact I had to do plumbing on the ice to get it set up, over time it slowly just became an inconvenience & I became annoyed in that aspect only.
    I’m sure I’ll circle back to it again in the future.

Switching to a Summit Pole fixes most of those pain points, but using everything does require an extra minute or so of setup time, they are definitely not intended to easily hole hop.

futurepoorperson

I didn’t even know there was an after market company making these.
    There Two (2)steps ahead of Garmin.

Attachments:
    1. EBCA2103-C874-40AE-A7EB-2B21E93BA7DD.jpeg

2. 4ADC9F4F-1BA6-4768-8D21-0466B7253384.jpeg

grizzlyhackle
    Montana

Does anybody have anything through the grapevine on livescope 2.0? I fished with a buddy this last weekend that has been running it and I’m sold. Wondering if I should pick up the current model or wait for the new release? Also any guesses on price? Thanks

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

he times I’ve been out with friends who have the panoptix it makes it so easy to locate and catch fish, and when in groups we all limit out quite easily

There’s no one forcing you and your buddies to all keep a limit of panfish. The culture has to change on that front. If you’re worried about the harvest of so many fish with new technology, then you can simply release them like Joe is doing.

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s been alot of speculation based on patents Garmin has filed recently, like 3D perspectives and fish & lure tracking. I suspect they will released a Livescope “HD” at this years iCAST event in June to take ANY wind out of Humminbird’s sales with their LiveView transducer system launch this spring…

It will most likely have a premium price attached to it at first as alot of current owners will upgrade regardless of the price…but then the price should come down to better compete with Humminbird and Lowrance..

Humminbird is the wild card in this techspace as they seem to have figured out how to get the 3 transducer beam stitching cpu work done without a separate black box. They have yet to release even a simple screenshot of the display so we don’t know how it compares to anything yet, it’s all just rumors and speculation at this point.

grizzlyhackle
    Montana

There’s been alot of speculation based on patents Garmin has filed recently, like 3D perspectives and fish & lure tracking. I suspect they will released a Livescope “HD” at this years iCAST event in June to take ANY wind out of Humminbird’s sales with their LiveView transducer system launch this spring…

It will most likely have a premium price attached to it at first as alot of current owners will upgrade regardless of the price…but then the price should come down to better compete with Humminbird and Lowrance..

Humminbird is the wild card in this techspace as they seem to have figured out how to get the 3 transducer beam stitching cpu work done without a separate black box. They have yet to release even a simple screenshot of the display so we don’t know how it compares to anything yet, it’s all just rumors and speculation at this point.

You seem pretty in the loop Joe – thanks for the response. From your perspective, if you were in my shoes at this point, would you wait until June to see what Garmin releases? If the current model is discounted or guys start selling them and I can find a good deal I might go that route. Either way I’m gonna jump on the livescope bandwagon, but not sure if I should wait this out or not. Thanks again

JoeMX1825
    MN

I didn’t even know there was an after market company making these.
    There Two (2)steps ahead of Garmin.

The world of 3D printing allows end users to solve product problems themselves vs waiting for the manufacturers to decide to spend the money to solve it…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

You seem pretty in the loop Joe – thanks for the response. From your perspective, if you were in my shoes at this point, would you wait until June to see what Garmin releases? If the current model is discounted or guys start selling them and I can find a good deal I might go that route. Either way I’m gonna jump on the livescope bandwagon, but not sure if I should wait this out or not. Thanks again

I went back and forth (do I wait or not?) until I ultimately purchased all the needed parts this fall when the super sales hit and was able to put my Livescope Ice bundle together for $1,600 total (I did purchase a hard to find like new used LVS-32 system that saved me a ton of $$)

My decision ultimately came down to whatelse do I need Livescope to do for me to make me wait for the next version and ultimately pay the premium price? For me it was nothing else, current Livescope does more than everything I need it to, so I made the purchase and saved a ton of $$

I do think that if Humminbird’s Live View solution is as good as Garmin’s Livescope, then that might force me to rethink my Garmin setup and move towards the Hummnibrd one, saving the 4.5 lbs and added bulk by not having a black box is a big deal for ice fishing…

To ultimately answer your question, at this point of the year (ice fishing is almost done in MN) I would wait until iCAST June to see if anything newly released is worth it…if it is, then you’ll see a huge price drop in the current technology as so many owners update…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

With each advancement I ponder more and more if fishing will be my forever hobby or if I will move on to something different as I age and get sick of the technological rat race. With a family I see myself spending way more time vacationing, at sporting events, or even pleasure boating than drooling over the next release of technology in the fishing world or bragging about a trophy fish that I caught by mastering a device. When I was younger, I would’ve had Livescope the day it came out and been positioning to trade in for the next version the day it was released regardless of price. Today, I’m much the opposite.

I think we are closer than people realize to a point where harvest will have to be significantly restricted. Technology evolves exponentially faster than human culture and ideas around fishing or harvest. Each of our neighboring shacks on Mille Lacs this weekend was absolutely shocked that we threw back 3 fish that were legal to harvest. I’m still confused as to why it was so “crazy” that we released legal fish

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Have you seen their site? A couple days ago HB updated their website with the transducer and a lot of good info/pricing.

Confirms at least some of the rumors (e.g., no black box!)

JoeMX1825
    MN

Have you seen their site? A couple days ago HB updated their website with the transducer and a lot of good info/pricing.

yep, all of that info was leaked months ago, still not a single image or short video of what their tech actually looks like yet..

JoeMX1825
    MN

With each advancement I ponder more and more if fishing will be my forever hobby or if I will move on to something different as I age and get sick of the technological rat race. With a family I see myself spending way more time vacationing, at sporting events, or even pleasure boating than drooling over the next release of technology in the fishing world or bragging about a trophy fish that I caught by mastering a device. When I was younger, I would’ve had Livescope the day it came out and been positioning to trade in for the next version the day it was released regardless of price. Today, I’m much the opposite.

I think we are closer than people realize to a point where harvest will have to be significantly restricted. Technology evolves exponentially faster than human culture and ideas around fishing or harvest. Each of our neighboring shacks on Mille Lacs this weekend was absolutely shocked that we threw back 3 fish that were legal to harvest. I’m still confused as to why it was so “crazy” that we released legal fish

I think it has to do with most folks needing to justify their spending $3,000 on Livescope or $25k on a fish house…

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Eliminating the box and keeping the pricepoint of garmin has me optimistic. Not to mention backward compatibility with G3/G4 helix and all solix. If they nail the software element I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Lowrance initial software was a complete fail.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Eliminating the box and keeping the pricepoint of garmin has me optimistic. Not to mention backward compatibility with G3/G4 helix and all solix. If they nail the software element I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Lowrance initial software was a complete fail.

They seem to have solved the impossible issue of having a headunit do all the CPU work of stitching together 3 beams of 150 degree sonar…If so and it’s as good as Garmin and Lowrance, then wowsers, talk about a huge technological leap! I have my doubts until I see it in action, especially when they say it will work with their head units that are already 2 years old and Garmin and Lowrance can’t do it with their current top of the line units…

grizzlyhackle
    Montana

So still in this rabbit hole – Im leaning towards this:

-Livescope system – $1,500
    -Summit shuttle – $100

Does anyone run a larger screen than the 93sv? What are the biggest differences in running the UHD and the 10″(106sv)/12″(126sv) Ultra units? Are there any other accessories or things I would need or want besides the screen/unit, livescope system, and the shuttle? This is all new to me so I’m a complete rookie.

I’m moving from an outdated LX5 and don’t do much open water fishing besides out of the raft, so not sure how much “extra” stuff I need or if the bigger screen is worth upgrading from the ice bundle, etc. I am on the “buy once, cry once” bandwagon though so just want to do this right the first time and not have regrets.

Just looking for opinions or advice. Thanks to everyone that’s posted, its been helpful.

JoeMX1825
    MN

you’ll want the Summit pole system with removable transducer mount and at least an 18AH Lithium battery, both are absolutely required imo.

imo the bigger screens aren’t worth it for the price….Livescope can only display at a set resolution, so a better screen is pointless if Livescope is your only use… The bigger screens also pull alot more power, so battery life will be alot less…

grizzlyhackle
    Montana

you’ll want the Summit pole system with removable transducer mount and at least an 18AH Lithium battery, both are absolutely required imo.

imo the bigger screens aren’t worth it for the price….Livescope can only display at a set resolution, so a better screen is pointless if Livescope is your only use… The bigger screens also pull alot more power, so battery life will be alot less…

Thanks Joe – I appreciate it a lot.

I’m guessing the Summit pole system is this one?…

Also guessing I’d want the 24-60″ pole?

Thanks this is a huge help.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

livescope can only display at a set resolution,

do you know what resolution that is?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Thanks Joe – I appreciate it a lot.

I’m guessing the Summit pole system is this one?…

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”>Garmin Transducer Pole and Ice Mount Combo</div>
    Also guessing I’d want the 24-60″ pole?

Thanks this is a huge help.

Yep, I got the longer one so I could use it on my boat rails in the summer..

JoeMX1825
    MN

livescope can only display at a set resolution,

do you know what resolution that is?

hmm, I can’t remember off hand and now the more I think about it, i’m not sure if the Livescope resolution is the same no matter the screen..sorry, I might have got goofed up… I do know the price difference for 1″ of screen (9″ vs 10″) is like $1,000, not worth it imo

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I only ask because if I were going with Garmin I would be torn between the 9″ UHD and the 10″ ultra. While there is only 1″ of screen difference there is a huge difference in resolution. Still – you’re right 2X is a lot for that little bit of enhancement.

grizzlyhackle
    Montana

I’m liking the looks of that 12….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.