West Rush Lake Ice Conditions

• KPE
    River Falls, WI

Can anyone from the area give an update or outlook on ice conditions for West Rush? I’m hoping it will be walkable by December 19th (next Saturday) if not already, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been there.

Thanks in advance!

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Just to add, of course anyone responding to me assumes no liability for me or my actions. Just looking for an update on what might be out there currently so I can make plans accordingly.

temps look good all next week so far with minor snow possible on tuesday according to google.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Its walkable on the bays I’ve been out a few times already.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ummmm, Did you get evicted and the only place you have to live is on a sheet of ice somewhere in the state? wave

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Ummmm, Did you get evicted and the only place you have to live is on a sheet of ice somewhere in the state? wave

No no no. Not yet. Just bought a new house. But work is slower then usual so I’ve been working and getting off a couple hours earlier then usual. So I run and gun to the lake. Its actually kind of nice. I feel like I’ve been going non stop for 10 plus years, now I have a little time to enjoy my self. Even if its just running and catching a few crappies or setting up a tip up for a hour or 2.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Thanks Bearcat, much appreciated. Sounds like it should be walkable by next Saturday pending some freak rainstorm or a ton of snow.

I was ice fishing the river backwaters already. Did great, limited out on pike and brought home a handful of decent perch for the frying pan

Deuces

East had walkable/fishable ice.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Thanks! We might go east or west depending on a few factors. I appreciate the input, it’s for myself and a friend who haven’t ice fished together in quite a while so it’ll be nice to get out

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Check the Rush Point store Facebook page they post ice conditions and just updated.

Author
    Rush Point Store
    Hunter Kaehn
    7″ out of flick a birds. Middle of east 3 to 4. 3 to 4 out of the west landing. There is some geese keeping water open over by crane. There is a pressure ridge east of cigar. That runs south east and there is water around that ridge. We don’t know what the 50° weather did to the lake. Reports were from yesterday.

Matt Waste

I know what lake I won’t be fishing this weekend…

Deuces

Winters with bad ice up nort were super busy, this corona year probably be just as bad, but helps alot there is lots of decent ice elsewhere this year.

Matt Waste

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Waste wrote:</div>

Winters with bad ice up nort were super busy, this corona year probably be just as bad, but helps alot there is lots of decent ice elsewhere this year.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Waste wrote:</div>

I still remember 15-18 years ago first fishing Rush and there was hardly NOBODY else ever on the lake. Amazing fishing (action and quality) then of course word got out and now its a zoo all the time. I will still fish it but once there is drivable ice I won’t touch it on weekends. The lake certainly isn’t what it used to be….

Matt Waste

Its so funny how everyone piles up over the deep basins on west. Almost 20 years of fishing that lake and I’ve never setup deeper than 25

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

ive never fished rush lake. just looked at it on navionics. WOW there is a lot of structure!!! i could see how a guy could spend 25 years fishing this lake and never get bored

tim hurley

Do you fish weeds out there Matt?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Its so funny how everyone piles up over the deep basins on west. Almost 20 years of fishing that lake and I’ve never setup deeper than 25

I am in the same boat as you. I find it funny watching 700 guys fishing next to each other when I sit all alone plucking crappies out of my house and walleyes on the tip ups.
    Rush lake story is the same as many lakes in the area. Pokegama and cross are the same way. 100s of people out and every one sits together in a group

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Catching the mostest and bestest fish isn’t always the name of the game. Sometimes I like to sit in the group and catch dinks while I go from camp to camp chatting with strangers over a beer. Being a loner and catching more fish doesn’t make you better and it doesn’t make everyone else a fool. Just means maybe they prioritize things differently.

The older I get the more I realize that for me fishing is more about comradery then anything else. comradery and just enjoying being outside

LabDaddy1

Crappie and bear- I get both sides of the coin. It’s nice to adventure and bust your a s s and be away from everyone discovering a hot bite of numbers/big fish(even if you come up empty, at least you tried), but it’s also occasionally nice to just go somewhere where you know there’s some fish and there’s also lots of people to just relax and catch some fish and enjoy camaraderie. Especially if you don’t have a ton of time. To each their own and do as you please!

LabDaddy1

Another thing to think about- if everybody took it very seriously, there would be a lot less places to have to yourself with less pressured fish peace cool twisted

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Catching the mostest and bestest fish isn’t always the name of the game. Sometimes I like to sit in the group and catch dinks while I go from camp to camp chatting with strangers over a beer. Being a loner and catching more fish doesn’t make you better and it doesn’t make everyone else a fool. Just means maybe they prioritize things differently.

The older I get the more I realize that for me fishing is more about comradery then anything else. comradery and just enjoying being outside

Never meant it as a insult to any one else. I see more arguing and people being rude then I do people being happy you are next to them.
    When I group fish I bring my buddies and do the same thing. But in our own little clan. Then the kids can run about having fun and I can bs with buddies. I didnt mean to make it sound like every one else is a dumb a$$.

We go set out permanent in a area and then fly around in portables. It seems to not matter where we park the permanent, it usually draws a crowd with in a few hours. Thats what I laugh about

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.