West Battle Lake

• Darrin Bonnema

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

I’m heading up to West Battle Lake this weekend for the first time. Just curious if anyone has been up there lately? Are there any ice heaves to avoid? Any fishing tips would also be appreciated as far as depth, color, etc. Thanks in advance!

Regularpaul

I’ll be out this weekend. Was out two weekends ago. Didn’t find walleyes but also didn’t fish hard either (had kids with). It seems they may have moved out deeper.

Can’t really say I have any tips but my plan is pretty much gonna be to explore and try to hunt them down. I’ll be out with a friend so we should be able to get mobile and cover some ice.

Maybe someone else will chime in too. I’d be curious to hear what others might have to say!

Good luck!

Darrin Bonnema

Thank you Paul. Was the ice pretty good everywhere you went? We plan on running around and wondering if there are any areas to avoid?

Regularpaul

Great ice everywhere I’ve been. Again, I don’t want to sound like an authority figure on the lake because it’s only my second winter on it but I think the only places I’d pay attention to is probably the inlet on the far southeast end and the outlet over on the northeast corner of the west basin. Just take that info for what it’s worth; a semi-educated guess.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I fished up there January 18 and 19. The walleye we caught were in 34ft and crappies in 16-18ft. We caught 7 eyes the first night and notta the second. We caught a few crappies during the day but never did try the evening bite for them, should have as we did well last year during the evening bite. All on the West Basin. Our group doesnt move around too much, we fish right in front of my buddies cabin for Walleye, shoreline break, and smaller hole for the crappies. Set lines were ticket for both species. Did get a few northerns as well, one on tip up in about 10fow and couple others while fishing for crappies.

Regularpaul

Finding any fish? Slow here. Thought maybe the weather would get things moving.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.