Well, how bad is it? (Polk Co WI ice)

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

I’m finally getting a break from work to head out this weekend on Polk Co WI lakes, but obviously the biggest question I have is about the ice conditions given all the snow we had.
    Can anyone fill me in?
    Ice thickness?
    Slush?
    How deep is the snow on top?

A little intel would be a great help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Don

Beast

Lots of slush in areas, ice runs about 5″ close to shore on the larger lakes,about 8″ on the shallower lakes as of today.

B-man

A buddy was trying to get out on Balsam yesterday, he said it’s terrible

3-5″ of ice where he checked and horrible slush. He didn’t even fish

If you go, bring a spud bar and muck boots. He said the snow wasn’t terribly deep and was surprised the slush hasn’t locked up yet. There was a spooky break-through-on-foot crust forming in spots, other spots your tip-ups and sled would be floating in water.

Just crap. But I’m sure some lakes are better than others. And there’s probably worse ones too…..

Mr. Bystrom it was nice running into you during deer season and catching up. It’s been awhile. I hope the kids and grandkids had fun and got a chance to squeeze the trigger )

The guys that hunted down on Kathy’s had a tough time, that storm damage can’t be described with words. Glad you guys pulled through it and nobody got hurt.

Beast

A buddy was trying to get out on Balsam yesterday, he said it’s terrible

3-5″ of ice where he checked and horrible slush. He didn’t even fish

If you go, bring a spud bar and muck boots. He said the snow wasn’t terribly deep and was surprised the slush hasn’t locked up yet. There was a spooky break-through-on-foot crust forming in spots, other spots your tip-ups and sled would be floating in water.

Just crap. But I’m sure some lakes are better than others. And there’s probably worse ones too…..

Mr. Bystrom it was nice running into you during deer season and catching up. It’s been awhile. I hope the kids and grandkids had fun and got a chance to squeeze the trigger )

The guys that hunted down on Kathy’s had a tough time, that storm damage can’t be described with words. Glad you guys pulled through it and nobody got hurt.

Good to see you again, man, it’s been awhile. we didn’t see anything worth shooting over gun season, was out on Balsam today, the last cold snap tightened it up, but I wouldn’t trust that the whole lake is safe yet, walked out and got some decent gills, a few 4 wheelers are starting to show up in the bays, but I wouldn’t trust the big area’s yet.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

We were supposed to go to Chetac Lake over the holidays but we were told that they were suggesting only foot traffic so we cancelled

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.