Weird Vehicle not reaching operating temp after work done

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

Should be shop warranty on the water pump install with the thermostat. You always replace the thermostat when doing a water pump.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have a spare vehicle she could drive but its been sitting for a few weeks and the battery is completely dead and I cant even jump it with my booster pack. Need to get the charger on it today. Hopefully its not toast.

Not likely to survive Captain, in these temps a totally dead battery probably frozen, look at the sides and if it is swollen, just replace it, they do not come back from that. Sorry not like you need more issues right now. doah

CaptainMusky

Not likely to survive Captain, in these temps a totally dead battery probably frozen, look at the sides and if it is swollen, just replace it, they do not come back from that. Sorry not like you need more issues right now. doah

Yeah, that is what I am afraid of. Its not even that old of a battery.

CaptainMusky

Should be shop warranty on the water pump install with the thermostat. You always replace the thermostat when doing a water pump.

Yep contacted him this morning and they are ordering up a new thermostat. They did put a new one initially, but either this one is faulty or something clogged it. Hopefully its that and not a heater core, but it sure seems like the culprit.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Thankfully the shop is about a block from my house so I will run it over there again probably tonight. They need to do these tests outside. My wife said their teeth were chattering on the drive in yesterday and they had the temp set to 90. She is getting like 6MPG right now too ugh. I have a spare vehicle she could drive but its been sitting for a few weeks and the battery is completely dead and I cant even jump it with my booster pack. Need to get the charger on it today. Hopefully its not toast.
    [/quote

Thaw the battery before you try to charge or jump it. A friend storing a car in my shed blew up a battery when he tried to quick charge a frozen battery.

CaptainMusky

Thaw the battery before you try to charge or jump it. A friend storing a car in my shed blew up a battery when he tried to quick charge a frozen battery.

Yikes!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

6mpg why ?

CaptainMusky

6mpg why ?

I think its a combination of a couple things. Colder than snot, idling more to warm up and the fact its not getting to proper temp. Just a thought. It doesnt get the best mileage to begin with. Actually once we got it back from getting the tranny replaced she was averaging 8MPG which is terrible but now its worse.

CaptainMusky

I may have made some headway last night. So I fired it up in the garage. I looked for the radiator cap and couldnt find one. WTF?! I took the cap off the reservoir and revved it up to about 3000 RPM for about 5 minutes. I could feel heat coming out and the temp gauge made it close to where I would expect it to be. Turned the vehicle off and went to put the cap back on and close the hood and noticed coolant had splashed out of the reservoir so obviously there was air in the system. I also noticed the passenger side vents were not working but didnt realize it at the time, but the passenger climate controls were turned off. THat will also make a huge difference in trying to heat that massive vehicle so I texted her this morning to make sure she checks that. Hopefully those things make a difference but thankfully its warming up after today.

gary d
    cordova,il

My son had the same problem and he had to change the coolant temp sensor and themosant. It work better then every now. Good luck with it.

CaptainMusky

My son had the same problem and he had to change the coolant temp sensor and themosant. It work better then every now. Good luck with it.

Yeah its definitely a head scratcher, but no word back from the wife on if it was any better today. Today was the coldest morning so far so if it was good then I think I have it figured out.

CaptainMusky

Got the battery out of the Envoy what a dang sh*tshow that is to remove. Anyways, it doesnt appear bulged out so I hopefully dodged a bullet there and have it inside thawing out so I can charge it.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

6mpg why ?

Letting it idle for 15 minutes in the driveway might just have something to do with the lower fuel mileage.

CaptainMusky

Took it for a drive today and no bueno. It only got about one quarter up on the gauge in my 15 mile drive. On the way back I put it in manual shift mode and limited it to 4th gear so the rpms would be higher. This actually worked somewhat as it got to halfway where it should be. Going back in this week I hope.

isu22andy

Is the fan clutch on ? Or electric fan running constantly ?

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Check the serpentine belt and compare it to the diagram under the hood to see if it is routed correctly

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.