We know you all do it

• mike mulhern

Miss Sunday pro football. Nothing like having a cold one and getting ticked at someone your not related to. Love em and hate em for four months. Its even worse when your a Packer fan. Green and gold is everywhere John Deere tractors, Packer bumper stickers, hats wore year around. Just don’t see many purple tractors or black ones for the bears fans not like they have much to look forward to.

mike

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Not me. I never watch any sports. I can always find something better to do. Like fishing peace

SR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m so ticked on right now.

I found that I have to pay a $3. Sports Fee on my cable bill whether I want to or not.

I hardly watch tv much less any sports! flame

munchy
    NULL

I’m so ticked on right now.

I found that I have to pay a $3. Sports Fee on my cable bill whether I want to or not.

I hardly watch tv much less any sports! flame

If you hardly watch TV then why have cable at all??

404 ERROR
    MN

I can proudly say I did not watch a single pro Football game all season, including the super bowl. Overpaid cry babies that I do not support. Give me some high school football!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Two words. Favorite Wife.

If it was up to me I would be watching Decades for background noise.

monstermatt
    Minnesota

Not me. I never watch any sports. I can always find something better to do. Like fishing peace

SR

X2!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

February 13, 2017 at 5:56 am#1673490
    Not me. I never watch any sports. I can always find something better to do. Like fishing. Like watching hockey, a real man’s sport.
    SR

There. I fixed that for you.

Football to me is something watch when hockey isn’t on.

And I’m watching less and less football every year. Next year, I might be down to almost none. I skipped the Superbowl this year, only checking the score on the radio.

Too many primadonnas strutting and preening in tight pants with coiffed hairdos hanging out of their helmets. The whole culture of football has turned me off and that pro culture has now polluted the college game and is leaking into the high school game as well.

I’d have loved to see some of these pretty boys with their long, flowing locks play back when football was a man’s sport. They’d have been getting “hair tackled” ever other play and they’d be at the barber’s shop on Monday getting a haircut.

Grouse

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

Two words. Favorite Wife.

If it was up to me I would be watching Decades for background noise.

Great Channel

Rick Z
    Stark MN

This is the State of Hockey! I could care less about football

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

My fam cut the cord so i am getting less involved with football nowadays although those 3 fantasy football and pick em leagues keeps me somewhat in tune. Still would much rather sit in boat or stand on a fall day, especially when we can pretty much predict how a vikes game/season will turn out.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I watched way less as the season went on… loved the first 6 weeks… then .. meh crazy

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I can proudly say I did not watch a single pro Football game all season, including the super bowl. Overpaid cry babies that I do not support. Give me some high school football!

I will argue, in comparison to the other professional sports out there, that NFL players are MASSIVELY underpaid.

MLB, NBA, NHL contracts are guaranteed, NFL contracts have very little guaranteed money. Which, if you get hurt in an NFL game and don’t have guaranteed money, your loss. Other sports and your career ends, your still paid.

For instance here are some of the top current contracts out there.
    MLB – Giancarlo Stanton $325 million guaranteed
    NHL – Shea Webber $110 Million guaranteed
    NBA – Mike Conley Jr. $152.6 million guaranteed
    NFL – Andrew Luck $87 Million guaranteed

If you compare the 4 major professional sports, Andrew Luck’s guaranteed money makes him the 77th highest paid player in professional sports in America. Joe Mauer is the 10th highest paid player in America at $184 million guaranteed. For the Vikings, Harrison Smith has the most guarantee money at $28 million. Parise has the highest Wild contract at $98 million guaranteed. In Adrian Peterson’s entire career, which is arguably the greatest RB career ever, he’s earned $94.7 million, far less than what other sports have guaranteed to their guys.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’d have loved to see some of these pretty boys with their long, flowing locks play back when football was a man’s sport. They’d have been getting “hair tackled” ever other play and they’d be at the barber’s shop on Monday getting a haircut.

These ‘pretty boys’ would completely and utterly dominate play when football ‘was a man’s sport’. No comparison in size, speed, talent from today to the past.

I will bring this up in any pro sports thread where people start talking about money, the players are criminally underpaid for what the amount of money the owners are bringing in.

Just because making millions a year seems unfathomable for us doesn’t mean they are overpaid. People bring up baseball players because their contracts seem to have gone through the roof, when in reality their ‘share’ of the total league revenue has been decreasing since the early 2000s.

Attachments:
    1. mlb-player-share-1994-20141.png

404 ERROR
    MN

I’m not really into any sports other than Hockey, but taking into consideration travel, games played and contract lengths, they are in a different ball game (pun intended). See below:

MLB – Giancarlo Stanton $154,320 per game guaranteed
    NHL – Shea Webber $95,814 per game guaranteed
    NBA – Mike Conley Jr. $373,170 per game guaranteed
    NFL – Andrew Luck (injury guarantee only) $1,087,500 per game guaranteed
    NFL – Andrew Luck (plays out contract un-injured) $1,537,125 per game…

Don’t mean to start an argument, just trying to compare the numbers apples-to-apples. Obviously my numbers don’t reflect the overall revenue of the league or team in correlation to player salaries, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’d like to thank you for your service!!

devil

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Agreed Phil, and the SEVERLY underpaid are the minor leagues. MLB Minors where they get paid less than minimum wage, juniors for hockey or the NCAA for all the major sports where they don’t get paid at all (legally anyway).

As for the OP and me I love football but have had my fill by the end of the season. Although it is fun watching the GREATEST QB and Coach of All-Time demolish the league during a time when the league is designed for parity. What an amazing dynasty they have in NE!!!

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnrabbit wrote:</div>

I’m not really into any sports other than Hockey, but taking into consideration travel, games played and contract lengths, they are in a different ball game (pun intended). See below:

MLB – Giancarlo Stanton $154,320 per game guaranteed
    NHL – Shea Webber $95,814 per game guaranteed
    NBA – Mike Conley Jr. $373,170 per game guaranteed
    NFL – Andrew Luck (injury guarantee only) $1,087,500 per game guaranteed
    NFL – Andrew Luck (plays out contract un-injured) $1,537,125 per game…

Don’t mean to start an argument, just trying to compare the numbers apples-to-apples. Obviously my numbers don’t reflect the overall revenue of the league or team in correlation to player salaries, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

Breaking down by game is also a good way to compare it, although I wouldn’t say its completely accurate. Having a few old teammates and friends that play in the NFL, it is a grind for them. In season and off season. Yes, it is a good profession while it lasts for you, but you never know when it will end. Had one teammate that went from a starter (not a great player, but nonetheless a starter in the NFL), to offseason surgery, to cut and out of the league for good, all before age 24. Guaranteed contracts have to happen in the NFL.

I have seen an article before that lists the amount of league revenue for each sport, and how much of it goes back to the owners vs. players. The NFL players get a much smaller portion of their revenue back compared to the other sports.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.