Waxed Laces

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was looking for waxed laces for one of my hiking boots because they always come untied unless I really crank them down. They are dense round laces. Waxed laces are very popular for dress shoes and I guess hockey skates. (that kept coming up on my searches) After finding no products that were the correct length and color round laces for my boots I remembered I had a big chunk of bees wax. I ran the laces over that about 4 times. It made a groove as I pulled it over the wax so I just ran both laces through that grove. It worked and no more laces coming untied.
    Pro Tip-only wax the portion of lace above the last eyelet. The part of the lace you actually tie. Waxing the rest makes it hard to cinch up the laces on the eyelets.

catmando
    wis

Hey, thanks, always had a problem, now I got a fix!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Now take a six inch square of suede leather, or buckskin, folded in half and lay the waxed portion of the lace in there and work it back and forth until the leather warms. Do this a couple times after re-applying the wax. This will get the wax INTO the lace material so it has some staying power in use. I use a piece of buckskin and have the smooth side inside the fold.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Now take a six inch square of suede leather, or buckskin, folded in half and lay the waxed portion of the lace in there and work it back and forth until the leather warms. Do this a couple times after re-applying the wax. This will get the wax INTO the lace material so it has some staying power in use. I use a piece of buckskin and have the smooth side inside the fold.

That or warm the lace with a hair dryer. The beeswax will wick right into the material.

catmando
    wis

A wealth of knowledge!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.