Re-painting duck decoys…

• whittsend

Just tried a few sample decoy re-paints. Took some (very) old mallard decoys and thew on some black/white/grey/red primer/paint. Just used simple spray paint. Took about 1 minute per decoy.

Seemed to work fine. All flat/matte finish, or just straight primer. Added a matte clear coat, seems to help with shine a little (?). Hard to see due to lighting, but the top is grey primer, the sides are white. Not sure how durable the paint will be, but I’m guessing “good ’nuff”… Extemely easy to touch up, also. Just hit it with a quick spray from the can and you are good to go for another season.

Anyone have any other decoy re-paints that you want to share? Any tips, tricks, or favorite colors that you use for a particular species?

I just did a few cansvasbacks since I don’t yet have any diver decoys in my spread (and tons of puddle duck decoys), and cans seemed about the easiest color scheme to paint.

deertracker

Looks great for spray paint. Usually I put off painting my decoys until the season starts. Then because I don’t want to waste to much time I just take white spray paint and touch up my diver decoys as for those the white is the most important. I need to learn to pull my decoys out in the summer.
    DT

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

I like the second pic. If thats supposed to be a can, you did very well!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

New breed of Can?? Never seen one with curls before.

When I repaint my diver dekes I just go flat black front and back and flat white all the way across the back. Basically I paint them to look like spring bluebills. Been doing that for 20+ years, I think they like all the white and they can see it better from greater distances, I usually do about 70% drakes and 30% hens. The hens are almost all black with just a little splash of white along the sides, which is probably more for me than the ducks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.