season proposals

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

Hey CH,

The two things are similar and different. What kind of musky baits do you intend to throw? I like a good fiberglass rod for catting unless I am fishing J hooks then a heavy action with a fast tip St Croix premier musky rod is what I would get 6.5 or 7 footer. Casting musky baits can be tiring and I like a nicer rod for that personal pref. I would get an avid or legend St Croix heavy for that. Best advice I can do without a price range or more specificity in baits to be used.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

on sunday I am buying a new muskie rod that I also will be using for cat fishing if anyone has any suggestions on lenght and stiffness for the two species it would be much appreciated. Thank you very much

Last year I used this rod to pull double duty. I fish the Sturgeon Excursion with this rod, and I also fish muskies wtih it. The tip is soft enough for Sturgeon, and I would imagine it would be good for cats too, but I will tell you I am not a cat fisherman by any means. For throwing muskie baits, its a great rod. Good for big doulbe bladed items, and it’s one of my favorites for Dawgs too.

Fenwick Techna Av
    AVC 80MHMC (1114481) 15 to 30 8ft Med Hvy Moderate

joe fish
    Inver Grove/ Malmo, Mn.

Here is what I use, it’s a very good combo!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Both would do but MH is a little light for flatties. You often need to turn them right away or they will get into something on you.

shaley
    Milford IA

My buddy fishes both but has said many times most his muskie rods wont do for flats. The 1 rod we own that will do both is the Monster Mag rods from Muskie Innovations but those are a little heavy for throwing smaller muskie baits. Another thing is lenth, most muskie guys , myself included prefer longer (8’+ ) rods for casting baits while I think the shorter rods would be more for cats due to tight quarters and fishing the brush.( I may be wrong here I’m not a cat guy) I do know you wont fight a muskie for 2 hours like you might with a big flat, ( again based on stories from my cat friends) I’m not sure there a perfect rod to cover both fish.

Heres 3 choices that might do. Lenth is personal preference.

Croixs XH
    Fig Rigs new XH-XXH
    Muskie Innovations XH-XXXH ( XXXH rated to 40oz and its nice, I own 1)

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I don’t know for sure but I heard BrianK the cat guide runs premier musky rods. They work fine for both. You will want a larger reel for catting than the 5000 pictured. I use 6500cs some won’t go catfishing with less than a 7000. PS, I am not sponsored by St Croix, I recommend them because they are the best rods I have used.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I’ll second the St. Croix muskie rods. Have used them for both species with no problems many times.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

joefish:

Good to see a guy with the handle on the right side of the reel!!!

Mark

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

Thank you everyone for your posts. I have a reel already im going home right now from work and will post what kind it is. I have a friend that works at a sporting good store and can get me 50% off of st.croix, Glommis rods so im leaning towards one of those.

shaley
    Milford IA

I have a Croix and a Loomis both excelent rods.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

my friend also get a %edge off other rods but i cant remember what ones. The reel I have is a Abu Gracia Record with the power crank with 90lbs power pro. I had a guide series rod last year that I broke the handle on and returned. the rod work perfect for me up ultil it broke and only cost 20$(probly why it broke). I am new to muskie fishing and cat fishing but went relegiosly last year. for muskies I do alot of casting lures mostly topwaters, I think because im still new. that rod was 6 ft and I could cast a mile with it. It sounds like you guys prefer longer rods like 7ft-8ft?

shaley
    Milford IA

I have went to longer rods for the ease of casting/working a bait and better figure 8 control. Also helps with boatside hookups giving you a little more play with the lenth. I have 1 7’6″ left in my collection and my next rod will be a 9′ Muskie Innovations for throwing DCG style baits.

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

First of all thank you everyone for your help on the rod.

I bought a St.Croix premier 7’6, fast action, heavy power. the rod says heavy power on it but does not feel all that heavy duty. This rod is about 1/4 the diameter smaller then the guide series muskie rods and not as stiff.

Is this rod to light?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

It will do nicely. Most of us who pursue big fish have a dozen rods for different things.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

You will be glad you got the 7’6″ rod. I have a couple of 7 footers that knowing what I know now wish were 7’6″. Figure 8’s with that extra length sure is nice. Good choice on the St. Croix too!

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

thanks again everyone I love the rod. I had no idea what to look for before thanks alot.

kris_brantner
    My river

so why does the central get a 74 day season and the pacific gets 107 days and we are stuck with 60…. we could use those extra two weeks in december for when the ducks actually get here. o well looks like full seasons on pintails scaup and cans this year however. i hope they dont go back to the two hen mallard thing…..

carmorris

I don’t understand the season length limits either. The flyway council is to blame.

I am hoping we stay at 1 hen mallard as well. I would, however, like to see the woodduck daily bag limit set at 3 (no more than 1 hen).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.