Duck calls

• Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Can I guess

You fished right next to me for half the day. What kind of “guess” would that be?

A very well educated guess.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Lost my double reed call last week-end.(Yentzen) What does everyone like? A ton of calls out there to choose from

Thanks guys

big_hunter
    eagan, mn

im pretty sure im the only one who uses it, but i really like my mick lacy double reed. for $30, i think its a good call. i cant justify spending $100s for a zink/foiles/pick your favorite call that im gonna use and abuse… especially when i dont need to call much to begin with!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I have a couple Garners that I love.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I like Echo calls. More of a single reed guy myself.

A buddy of mine has a double reed Haydel’s Redleg he sounds awesome on, but he bought another and it sounded different? Maybe Haydel’s quality control isn’t great, but some of their calls sound very good for cheap.

IMO, the operator’s skill is more important than the call.

big_hunter
    eagan, mn

ive never heard anyone sound good on the redleg…

but the dr-85 is an old standby in our boat.

i really like haydel’s woody calls. the black one with rubber pitch adjust/muffler on it is sweet. its really quiet tho. opening weekend i was talking to birds in my spread, just wish i knew how ot tell them to come back next weekend! i’ve never heard woodies that vocal before!

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

if you can learn how to run one….XR-2….nothing better.

ses
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

IMO, the operator’s skill is more important than the call.

I second this quote!

I like SKS Duck & Goose Calls myself. You get what you pay for.

perch_44

it all depends on what you’re looking for too. i keep two duck calls on my lanyard. i have a loud, open water call, and a quieter double reed.

deerdragger

My best days of calling are when I forget the darn things in the truck. I’m envious of those how are able to make them work magic.

perch_44

Quote:

My best days of calling are when I forget the darn things in the truck. I’m envious of those how are able to make them work magic.

it just takes practice, practice, practice…

perch_44

Quote:

im pretty sure im the only one who uses it, but i really like my mick lacy double reed. for $30, i think its a good call. i cant justify spending $100s for a zink/foiles/pick your favorite call that im gonna use and abuse… especially when i dont need to call much to begin with!

those 100 dollar calls sound better and last longer.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Go to the store and blow them all. There are so many choices these days. There are definatly calls that fit people better than other calls. Find what your comfortable with.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Thanks men, new I could count on some great info.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I get my duck calls custom made down in Iowa. I believe they have Echo guts and they blow nicely. I believe they advertise them as Tucko calls. I’ve seen him sell some on Ebay and I have to say they blow sweet. The doubles are responsive and the singles have great range and they all look very nice.

I had him make me a goose call, but I didn’t like it nearly as much as my Migrator.

deertracker

OLT DR 115. I’ve had it for the last 14 years and it still sounds awesome. It was my first call and will always be my go too call.
    DT

boods1
    Lancaster, WI

Zink PH-2 polycarb($30) or Zink PH-2 acrylic(130). Polycarb comes with an instructional video. I love them both. Buck Garder Double Nasty 2 is a good call too. Blows easy and sounds good!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Zink PH-2 polycarb($30) or Zink PH-2 acrylic(130). Polycarb comes with an instructional video. I love them both. Buck Garder Double Nasty 2 is a good call too. Blows easy and sounds good!

Hi Nate, I didn’t know you even duck hunted until last week-end. Don’t you know you’re missin out on the biggest smallies of the year while you’re freezing in your blind

kris_brantner
    My river

i blow rnts for duck and fm for goose. a good cheep call is a double reed echo diamondwood/poly. bout a 40 some dollar call. cant beat it for the money

waterfowler99
    Midwest

I use Foiles calls for Ducks and Geese for the most part…a great sounding cheap call is the H.S. Bill Collector. I have killed many birds with my single reed.

boods1
    Lancaster, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Ha..Duck Hunting is the greatest!

Hi Nate, I didn’t know you even duck hunted until last week-end. Don’t you know you’re missin out on the biggest smallies of the year while you’re freezing in your blind

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.