Duck Hunting Or Fall Fishing?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

With the Duck Hunting season and the Fall Fishing Bite almost upon us which one do you choose to go after? And why do you chose the one you do over the other? Thanks, Bill

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I bet the big question this year for the duck hunters on the river will be “is there enough water to spread out the hunters?” Everything’s so darn low it’s unbelievable. I’m seeing things in the backwaters I never knew existed with much of the habitat being simply “high and dry.”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I bet the big question this year for the duck hunters on the river will be “is there enough water to spread out the hunters?” Everything’s so darn low it’s unbelievable. I’m seeing things in the backwaters I never knew existed with much of the habitat being simply “high and dry.”

dbiles
    Rochester, MN

I love duck hunting, but since I don’t have a dog yet, I will probably fish. I would probably get me and my boat stuck in the mud..

dbiles
    Rochester, MN

I love duck hunting, but since I don’t have a dog yet, I will probably fish. I would probably get me and my boat stuck in the mud..

dbiles
    Rochester, MN

Maybe we could come up with a way to shoot a crankbait out with the shot? Kill the duck and then reel in the fish.

dbiles
    Rochester, MN

Maybe we could come up with a way to shoot a crankbait out with the shot? Kill the duck and then reel in the fish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You seen the videos of the bighead carp and the way they jump out of the water (up to 8′ in the air) around and behind the boat?

Carp skeet anyone?

It would be incredibly illegal but ever so much fun if they got as thick as you hear about in other locales. I’m sure some redneck has tried it and ended up shooting his brother Daryl…. lol

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You seen the videos of the bighead carp and the way they jump out of the water (up to 8′ in the air) around and behind the boat?

Carp skeet anyone?

It would be incredibly illegal but ever so much fun if they got as thick as you hear about in other locales. I’m sure some redneck has tried it and ended up shooting his brother Daryl…. lol

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

There you go. Kill 2 stones with one bird. Anybody can kill 2 birds with one stone. Oh well maybe not, but your idea sounds like fun. And ”Welcome” to the site. You will love it here. Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

There you go. Kill 2 stones with one bird. Anybody can kill 2 birds with one stone. Oh well maybe not, but your idea sounds like fun. And ”Welcome” to the site. You will love it here. Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You know James if those big Carp make it up this far we will have to keep the Hunting Forms open all year as we will be hunting carp as we fish for walleyes. It might be the only way to get rid of them. Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You know James if those big Carp make it up this far we will have to keep the Hunting Forms open all year as we will be hunting carp as we fish for walleyes. It might be the only way to get rid of them. Thanks, Bill

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I usually have long days in the fall and early winter. I hunt in the morning and fish in the midday and sometimes hunt the evening flight. My wife hates this time of the year.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I usually have long days in the fall and early winter. I hunt in the morning and fish in the midday and sometimes hunt the evening flight. My wife hates this time of the year.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I don’t anticipate the low water being much of a problem for hunting. Just like anything else in life, if you do your homework and put the extra effort into it you’ll do just fine finding remote areas to hunt. The lack of current does bother me a little. Ducks will be able to raft up right in the main channel and not in the back areas.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I don’t anticipate the low water being much of a problem for hunting. Just like anything else in life, if you do your homework and put the extra effort into it you’ll do just fine finding remote areas to hunt. The lack of current does bother me a little. Ducks will be able to raft up right in the main channel and not in the back areas.

Gator Hunter

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

NO CONTEST. i only get 60 days each year to go after them quackers, and every year it’s my goal to spend as many of those 60 days in the swamp. i can fish all i want the other 305 days a year…….the fall is for the ducks .

as far as the low water goes, i DO believe it’s going to create a problem this year. many of the spots guys are planning on going are completely dry or un-accessable by boat. the people who do their homework and scout a little are going to know this, but the people who don’t (which are the ones that come out on opener ) are going to be in for a big suprise come saturday morning. then there going to have to go crowd in somewhere, and ultimaly make someone else very upset. it’s going be crazy out there this weekend, even more then normal. lets just hope no one gets pushed to the point of SWAMP RAGE .

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

NO CONTEST. i only get 60 days each year to go after them quackers, and every year it’s my goal to spend as many of those 60 days in the swamp. i can fish all i want the other 305 days a year…….the fall is for the ducks .

as far as the low water goes, i DO believe it’s going to create a problem this year. many of the spots guys are planning on going are completely dry or un-accessable by boat. the people who do their homework and scout a little are going to know this, but the people who don’t (which are the ones that come out on opener ) are going to be in for a big suprise come saturday morning. then there going to have to go crowd in somewhere, and ultimaly make someone else very upset. it’s going be crazy out there this weekend, even more then normal. lets just hope no one gets pushed to the point of SWAMP RAGE .

orca
    Red Wing, MN

Hey Gator Hunter.You better do something special for that wife of yours. My wife let me get away with that kind of behavior in Alaska, but not here. Good job with getting away with it.

orca
    Red Wing, MN

Hey Gator Hunter.You better do something special for that wife of yours. My wife let me get away with that kind of behavior in Alaska, but not here. Good job with getting away with it.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Why make a choice? Go for the grand slam. Duck hunt the morning flight, fish midday and bowhunt the afternoons.Is this a great country or what?

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Why make a choice? Go for the grand slam. Duck hunt the morning flight, fish midday and bowhunt the afternoons.Is this a great country or what?

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

I’m going duck hunting because I waited all summer for that and I’ve been able to fish all year, and I’ll bow hunt in the evenings if I’m not to worn out from duck hunting!!

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

I’m going duck hunting because I waited all summer for that and I’ve been able to fish all year, and I’ll bow hunt in the evenings if I’m not to worn out from duck hunting!!

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Hunt of course…. you can go fishing any other time…

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Hunt of course…. you can go fishing any other time…

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Duck hunting, cause my dog is better at that than fishing!!

I do think you are going to see alot of “swamp rage” this year around 11:00 am to noon.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I do think you are going to see alot of “swamp rage” this year around 11:00 am to noon.

has
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

MossBoss,
    I know your pain. My dog can’t sit in the fishing boat at all. Anytime I start to real-up she goes nuts and sometime jumps over to retrieve my walleyes. Crazy dogs, gota love’em

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.