small river / jump shooting…

• ptrson_lund
    Upper Midwest

I need to pick your brains for suggestions please…

I do not duck hunt on the larger waters in my part of the state anymore (too many other obligations these days). I was hoping to float a small river near my house and jump shoot a few ducks. My question is what would be the optimal time to be out on the river? At day-break to see who spent the night, mid-day as some ducks filter in from the hunting areas on the Mississippi, or the evening to intercept the evening arrivals?

Please let me know what you would do.

Thanks
    Len

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

I think all three of those times have merit. However, I think that 10 am to 2 pm time frame might be good because a lot of birds will loaf on the river getting water and even sand in between feeding in the morning and evening. Just a thought.

–Whitey

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I would have to agree. Also remember to make a float when everything else is shuts down. The moving water will hold a ton of birds.

MikeReneeHolt

We always float a small river in southern minnesota too for ducks. We always start in the midmorning around 10 am or so. That way all the ducks are back on the water. If you go too early the ducks will be flying out to feed and wont be on the river

big_hunter
    eagan, mn

i wouldnt show up til after 9 am. i havent had luck with the late afternoon/evening times, unless you have a really quiet spot on the river.

ptrson_lund
    Upper Midwest

Thanks for the responses Guys…

Hitting the river mid-morning will work well with bow-hunting before & after

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.