2007 Duck & Goose Migration Report

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

This morning I noticed this flock out front of the house. At first daylight I saw a few smaller groups flying by also. This flock in the photo is around 100+ yards long!!!

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Bobber,
    Could you tell what kind of ducks those were?
    I will be up there this weekend for family thanksgiving and hopefully a hunt.
    Unlike years past, it looks like the pond will not be the only lake with open landings!
    cheers

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Drake,

After my hunt early last week I chose to stay on shore. The birds I was shooting had moved on to larger water where they were rafted and I don’t have a large boat. (18 foot canoe) If we get a hard freese soon I’ll head out late this week or early next. If not, I’ll probably be done until late goose when the big boys are moving around the river. This is one of those years I wish MN had a split season. For those that are out my way. The large water (Lakes not sloughs.) are holding a ton of divers. There all rafted as in Drakes report but there here. I’ve seen a few mallards around but they all look to be in small groups traveling under the blanket of darkness. The goose numbers are fantastic if you can get in the feild there feeding in. Unfortunatly there also rafting by day making it tough to get at them by water.

Good luck to all and I’ll past another report should I get out. If not I’ll probably be off the board until January. Good luck to all.

Chris

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

I’ve spoken to folks that did well over the weekend in the Bemidji and Walker areas.
    These people are still hunting the big water chasing divers.
    The diver bags are now being made up of primarily goldeneyes and most of you know what that means
    For the people that don’t pay much attention to the late season diver migration, when your bag if primarily white, or whistling ducks (goldeneyes, hooded mergansers and buffleheads) the migration is definitely not over, but the final push has in fact made it here!
    What a strange year
    I couldn’t agree more with Chriss regarding a split season, this year anyhow!
    Last year, we would have been screwed though.
    As I mention in my reply to Bobber’s post, I bring my big rig upto Garrison every year for thanksgiving and rarely find a boat landing that I can get into, other than Mille Lacs.
    My final voyage may very well be up near Mille Lacs this weekend.
    Good luck
    cheers

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

After extensive scouting last Thursday and Friday, we were on the X for Saturday morning……and it was……Ummmmm…..GOOD!!! I think the snow helped ….4 man limit, done by 8:30 .

Sunday afternoon two of us couldn’t find an X to be on, so it was NOT as good ……3 ducks and 3 single geese (feet down at 15yds).

Duck numbers are still lower than they should be…..goose numbers are decent……It’s either REALLY gonna happen next week, or we’re done? <—Cautiously Optomistic

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Sweet Jake. Nice shooting. I do hope we get some weather for the next week. We have been shooting a lot of Mallards out of the fields up here while goose hunting. Had a flock of around 200 work us Saturday! Got it all on film!

drakesdemise

A nice shoot and another great photo from Jake
    cheers

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

The last week has produced some awesomely steller hunts…..bird numbers seemed to peek with darn impresive numbers over the weekend in our area……but have since quickly dimenished. We broke lots of ice yesterday and only saw a fraction of the birds……but who can complain about 15 greenheads and 3 geese

Sunday was down right ridiculous….got our 5 man limit of mallards, 2 blacks and 3 gaddies with little effort.

Last night……we added a couple more after the photo…..goose on the end went 13 1/2 pounds on my digital scale!!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I must say, that guy on the left in the bottom pic is one good looking dude.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

DONE

The cold couldn’t hold off 3 more days….The ice is here, the ducks have moved on

What a great year though!!!

Is it March yet???

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jake:

Were your last hunts south or still P6 or P7 way. I know we finished on 9 last year. We had a good diver shoot last week on P9 and a friend had a good shoot on P8 with puddlers Thanksgiving and Friday after. Was going to try to get back down this weekend yet, but looks like ice is going to move them out before we get there. So let’s go ice fishing!!!

Mark

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

5A

Fresh snow on the ground for tomorrow…..Geese may die

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.