Warming up vehicles in winter is bad!? #JohnRasmussen

• LabDaddy1

I’ve heard when it’s really cold maybe let it warm up a couple minutes, but just driving slow and gently for the first couple miles is best. Can’t say for sure tho

B-man

Many gas construction pickups are used as mobile offices and charging stations.

They often idle 12+ hours a day to keep things cold, or warm, or charged.

Most have more idle hours than driving hours on the meter….

Putting that many idle hours on newer diesels can be detrimental though. Not to the engine, but to all of the emissions BS.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Me personally think having vehicles that when they stop at a light and after a certain period of time they shut off and restart when the accelerator is hit. Is way harder on an engine.

Slipbob nick

No auto expert but with how stiff a vehicle kept outside is in the winter even besides the engine I can’t see it being a positive driving it right away versus warming it up

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Next thing they will tell me is that bacon is bad for me.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Next thing they will tell me is that bacon is bad for me.

Only if cooked with a gas range – you know – because of emmisions…

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

In the winter my uncle starts his in the morning and doesn’t shut it off until he is done with work for the day on the farm, and has never had a problem with any of his farm trucks. There is a lot of idle hours on these

CaptainMusky

Me personally think having vehicles that when they stop at a light and after a certain period of time they shut off and restart when the accelerator is hit. Is way harder on an engine.

That is the absolute dumbest feature on new vehicles. What is it saving a couple drops of fuel? My truck has it and its the first thing I turn off when I start it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That is the absolute dumbest feature on new vehicles. What is it saving a couple drops of fuel? My truck has it and its the first thing I turn off when I start it.

Yeah it should be trashed. The all mighty EPA’s the only thing that matters and to get better fuel mileage all common sense is off the table.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I have had remote start on my vehicles since my 96 Chevy K1500, none of them died because of any issues with idling in cold weather.

The biggest thing is to drive them long enough after they are warmed up to get the condensation and whatever else out of the oil and my 20 mile trip to work must be enough. If you want to try to kill an engine only drive it a mile and shut it off, then wait 8 hours to drive it another mile

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.