Walleyes and smallies

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Was up on the wapsi a couple of days ago, got 3 16″ walleyes and a bunch of short smallmouths. Has anyone been up around troy mills lately and seen the very low water there. No water coming over the main dam, just the east cut and its about 30′ wide and 1/2 way to the knees, very low. All the bigger fish are in the deeper channels and you can see all the channels, waters really clear. Nows a good time for a canoe and a drift.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Thanks for the post, it was low in CC too. Nothing but little catfish and a couple of smallies to report for my effort.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Try Matsells bridge area and wade down stream. Its by viola on the way to central city on 13 on county home road. Turn left right in viola and you’ll see the signs after that, nice area. You might want to bring some night crawlers and stink bait and drift both for walleyes and catfish in the cuts, you should be able to put a few catfish on the stringer and might get lucky and get a couple walleyes off the bottom with crawlers.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

I’ll have to give that one a try. Been from Indy to just south of CC but have not tried that area. Thanks for the tip. I’ll let ya know how it goes.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

At times theres a pretty good topwater bite on jitterbugs for smallies too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.