Anybody been on the Wapsi

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

As anybody been out on the Wapsi below Central City?

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

hey traumatized, I live in CC and haven’t seen hardly anyone fishing there nor have I heard any reports around town. I’ll let you know if I hear of anything.
    Dan

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Been busy planning a new house we might try to build this summer (if the bank lets me), mowing the acreage and getting some vegetables planted in the garden; so I have not been online much lately.

We fished it last Saturday morning (5/21) very early, from 5:30am to 9am and did OK. We worked the rock piles and side cuts with waders. The water was pretty high, so if you go be careful.

Walleye were on the agenda, but none were taken. Rugbystar nailed a fat crappie that inhaled a ringworm and a nice rock bass, as well as one smallie.

I got one smallish smallie on a white grub, then decided to throw fat raps with my ultra-light gear. I got another smallie that was close to 15″ and then for some reason, it was my day to be the slayer of the Great Northern.

I caught a northern that taxed my 4# test set-up. If it wasn’t for Rugbystar’s help, we would not have beached the fish. It looked to be a 4-5#er. After that, I got another one on the same fat rap. This one was smaller, probably closer to 2-3#. He snapped the line, but I wrestled him on to the shore “Bear style” and saved my crankbait. The hot color for me was the “old” crawfish pattern, as this was an old balsa-style painted fat-rap with the brownish herringbone pattern on the sides and an orange belly.

So, the smallies, panfish, and northern were cooperative for us. All fish were released, except the panfish.

Regards,

Joe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.