4/8 OUTING

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

Got out on the Wapsi today for the first time . Just took the boat for a ride. Put in at Newport ramp and went up to 151 bridge. Didn’t fish, just making sure everything was in working order. Water was a little murky but not to bad. Anybody been fishing on the Wapsi below Anamosa?

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

How big a boat will she take? Is the channel pretty deep up to Anamosa? I’ve waded that stretch but always thought about getting my boat in, just wondering if trying to put my 18′ in there is an incredibly stupid idea…?

I was thinking of taking my son fishing tomorrow to McBride. Not heard much about the Wapsi, but they have been getting into some whiteys and slabs over at the Mac…

If this flows comes down on the big river, I might head to pool 9 or 13 on Friday…

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Going Friday sounds like an incredibly bad idea Joe. Mostly because they announced an RC win for a new program on Friday and my customers are coming in Wednesday. I expect they’ll stay here until the weekend. Add to that my wife going to Liar’s theater next week, and I really think the fish won’t be biting until I can get out Saturday morning.

With Bill’s crappie report for SE Minnesota, I would think that there’s got to be something going on around us somewhere… I need to get the boat on a shakedown cruise before the 30th, so I think that means I’ll be heading to Coralville next Saturday morning.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

We will work out the logistics. The Rock has been bearing hard on me…I was in for ~7 hours yesterday trying to perform miracles…and I ain’t Mother Theresa.

Neff apparently got out on the Mac last weekend and did OK on crappie and white bass from shore, so there are still some fish left in that lake, despite what I may have said.

So. I will have a windfall of hours for this week, hence my tentative plans of skippin’ out Friday and heading east. After our lack-luster trip to Bellevue, I’d be up for a nice stringer of panfish. After all, everyone knows us Iowa guys are only in it for the meat…

traumatized
    eastern iowa

The Wapsi is way to low to get just about any outboard in now. You may get up river a ways, but sooner or later your going to tear it up, there’s just not enough water. I use my 14ft flat bottom with a 13hp mud buddy. It’s not the fastest rig, but it will go anywhere. Just need a chance to get to fish it. There talking rain three days this week so it may come up. How did you do at the Mac?

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

After church and running some errands, we sort lost our “window” this afternoon, and never made it out.

I’ll get out on the Mac sometime within the next week or so and report back. My son is chomping at the bit to get out, so it won’t be long. With daylight savings time, I can get out right after supper and get in a good hour or so. Last year, my best luck at the Mac on slabs was that last hour or so befor dark. We had no problems last April/May getting a dozen big slabs fishing that evening bite using jigs and minnows in the creek channel of the north arm. And when I say dozen, we probably caught easily twice that many; tossing the dinks back and keeping the nicer ones. I am curious if that pattern establishes itself this year…

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Joe,
    Did you get out?

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Nope, not yet.

This week may break the 60 hour mark at work….

A couple of us might try C’Ville Saturday morning for specks, if that happens, we should have a report up later in the day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.