Walleye/perch line

• Bobby Kuennen

Building an exclusive walleye/perch jigging rod. Going with the 32″ TUC Precision with either an okuma or shimano reel. Need help with line. Do I go with 5 lb mono like Suffix Ice Magic or do I get a Fluorocarbon or do I go braid to fluorocarbon leader? Just want the best line available that I won’t be fighting memory like crazy.

Dan Baker

Personally, if I’m going to be jigging spoons, I want a small swivel off my main line with a 1-2′ flouro leader going to the Spoon. With that said, I would do a main line of braid or ice magic.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Are you mostly outside or inside?

Inside 90%+ might be braid. Anything else then pick mono, flouro, or a co-polymer. Personally I switched to P-line co-polymer several years back and love it.

x2 on the swivel a little ways up.

Bobby Kuennen

I would say it’s 50-50 inside and outside. I feel like fluorocarbon will be more sensitive and abrasion resistant but not sure how it is in cold conditions as it’s already stiff, does it free spool off the reel? Mono has more stretch so in deeper water I’m afraid of poor hook sets and bite detection but is usually easier to work with. Braid has the ice up issue but seems like many like it. No experience with the co-polymer

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Fluorocarbon stretches much more then mono. I like mono for outside and not been an issue with bites. Most of the time your 35 feet or less. unlike in the summer where you might be that far down plus a cast. stretch is less a problem. plus the hook set is directly up. cold weather I don’t like braid it gets iced or stiff.

shady5

I thought fluoro stretches less than mono. I haven’t actually tested it, just what I’ve heard.

Bobby Kuennen

Yes, fluorocarbon has much less stretch than mono. Almost like an in between of mono and braid because it’s clear and it has little stretch like braid. My issue using it in the summer is it’s stiff so knots aren’t as strong and sometimes has memory issues, hence my question.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Go with 5# p line or ice magic.

Karry Kyllo

Mike is correct. Fluorcarbon stretches more than mono.

From Berkley’s website:

Did You Know?

Many anglers believe that fluorocarbon is a low-stretch line, and credit its sensitivity to this factor. But it actually stretches more than nylon mono. The difference is, it takes a greater force to get fluoro stretching in the first place. As a result, fluoro makes a fine choice for situations where controlled stretch is helpful, whether as a mainline or a leader in conjunction with low-stretch superline. Paired with its higher density and direct contact due to its sinking ability this line is incredibly sensitive.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have a TUC Precision and right now I have it rigged with braid main line to swivel to 6 lb pline leader. The braid does ice up way worse than my ice magic I have on my TUC precision noodle. If your fishing outside I would go with straight ice magic or whatever not braid. If in a shack mainly then yes braid is nice with no memory use a swivel as said and leader.

Bobby Kuennen

Boy the arguement about mono vs fluoro and who has more stretch has my head spinning. Every article I’ve ever read has said mono has more stretch and I definitely agree by personal experience. I have been wrong before (so my wife says) but I think I’m write here;)

http://www.bassmaster.com/tips/ask-experts-what-line-should-i-use

I think I’ll just get ice magic and if I don’t like it I’ll try something else.

Thanks

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

4# suffix invisiline flourocarbon and don’t look back. Stays limp, less visible, $6 for a small spool. I’m very particular with my open water line, trying to find my ice lines and have been very impressed with this so far on a sienna 500.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.