Tournament boat number by entry Recieved

• fireflick
    Alma WI

IT was brought up to our attention and one of the local tournaments lately about how they could get more people involved. One of the suggestions would be to elimanate how people send their money in early to get an early boat number. It seems that lot of these tournaments, especially local, the same people get boat numbers 1-5 or very close to it. Some people actually pay a year in advance to get these numbers. I am guilty as the rest I have sent in early just to get a good number but is it fair? But wouldn’t it be better and more exciting to do every tournament on a draw? How many times have one said that there is already 20 boats in guess the top 5 spots will be gone why should I even fish. So if local tournaments were a draw you fish more of them…

wallster
    Austin, MN

Good Point Jarred, I think they should draw numbers. This makes it more exciting and makes a guy have more spots, especialy on the river where some spots are one boat spots. It gives everyone a fair chance.
    Wallster ><((((>

redneck
    Rosemount

I like the idea but wouldn’t really change my mind one way or the other about entering a tournament. With my little puddle jumper I could draw spot one and still not get the hot spot. If you want to shake it up make the start from smallest motor to biggest motor—I’d be all in for that one I guess at my age I like the whole tournamnet experience so I’ll fish the ones I fish but it is good that you are thinking about things like this because that is what keeps the blood flowing in the sport!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Jarred,

The Classic on Lake Minnetonka is a draw tournament. The rules meeting and Draw party are part of the fun. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

sorry but i have to disagree with this one for the following reason. I know of a lot of anglers who dont enter tourneys if they are not “on fish”. meaning they will wait till the last minute to see if they feel the “gamble” is worth the risk. I think those who commit to a tourney early should be rewarded for doing so by getting a first come first served #. Secondly, many tourney guys wont enter a tourney if the numbers fishing are low (ie low pay out) guys signing early sort of light the fire for others to sign up. I have to imagine that tourney organizers like that too. Just my .02

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

In a multiple day tournament boat number doesn’t have as big of an effect because usually the numbers are just reversed the next day. I can see the point though on the river where there are those few spots that are holding a larger concentration of large fish and boat numbers are so important. I think a draw for enties received a week before the tournament is a good idea. Then have entries after that in the order they were received. It still gives those people who commit early an advantage.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

For fairness, a draw is the only way to go. To promote early entries, do an early bird raffle or side pot.

If you look at the past tourney winners and placers, all very similar. Simply, these guys know how to target big fish better than the rest of us. Most of the fisherman merely “donate” their entry fee and just want the chance to compete, one-because it is fun and two-have an outside chance of possibly doing well. The major reason for losing the “donators” is tourney fees. In hard economic times, fishing a tourney that is viewed as expensive would be at the head of the chopping block line.

There is a reason Dean’s freeze your butt tourney gets a ton of boats each spring when it is freezing cold out—guys can readily afford it.

Keep things affordable and you will keep your numbers, adding a fair draw for position makes complete sense and ends ALOT of backstabbing bickering.

Jeremy

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Generally we are talking an early bird deadline (2 wk prior etc) and those early birds would be the draws for position. After the early bird it goes in order of paid entry.

Many spots on these local tournaments are literally within a 1/4 mile of take-off, if you had a good draw, even with a small motor you very well could get the spot.

Here is my take on this.

First, We will be discussing the Lake Pepin flighting format for the 2010 tournament. What I am thinking is this. There will be (2) drawings. After the first (2) weeks that the entry’s are sent out, or posted on this site, we will have the first drawing for the top numbers. With 1 week prior to the tournament date, we will have the next drawing for all the boats entered since the first drawing. The last week and at the orientation will then be in the order they receive. Again, this I believe is fair as the people whom are dedicated, and for sure plan on fishing, will have the best chance for the higher boat number. The later you wait, the chances for a higher boat number drops………to the point whereas you will be assigned a later boat number the longer one procrastinates.

Another perspective to is this has been an issue for the LPO (who got the higher boat numbers). In fact, last year was the first year (at least in the past 5) whereas the first boats out actually won the tournament. In fact, 2 years ago one of the last boats won the tournament.

Jimmy Siewert

tolden
    Stoddard, WI

I fished the WAT and a bunch of local tournaments and have never been even close to boat no 1. Closest is 16. My partner and I have won several of these. I find that the river is big, if you prefish and know the river, you can find big fish all over, just a mater of finding them. You will always have one or two of your honey holes to yourself. Typically these river tourney go a pool up and a pool down of take off or at least one pool either way. At least the ones I have fished. I don’t think it matters either way. I just like fishing them!

There is always gonna be someone with a bigger and faster boat to beat you to a spot, thus you have numerous spots to fish. The aren’t all going to be taken. Or heck, just go fishing and have fun. Who knows you may get lucky and find some fish no one knew were there.

perchhead

Jimmy why not take the top ten finishers from this year and make them boats 1-10 for next year and then number determined by order of entry recieved.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.