IDA Tourney Review

• nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Well Now that I am all warm and cozy in front of my computer (more like slowly getting the feeling back in my body)

I figure just I would give you a little Recap on our experiences the past few days on the river.

Well after not fininsing so well in the Freeze your butt on Sat we decided to head back out on Sunday to get busy and find some fish. and boy did we ever. incase some of you forgot Sunday was clear skies sunny and 50 degrees a buetiful day on the river and a very busy one at that. so with all the boat traffic My partner Todd and I decided to head down river to lose some of the boat traffic and do some casting to look for some good weight.

well on our way down we decided to make a drift thru Baypoint, with Super Doos to see if we could get a few saugers. we ended up catching 7 fish in one drift using a 1/4 oz jig and a Silver Minnow Super doo with the biggest Suager going 17″. so after our drift was done we kept on going down river and hitting many rip rap shorelines with no Success so we decided to leave the rip rap and go fish the sand. we ended up hitting many sand flat areas with a few fish to show for our efforts but they were still not the ones we desired so we kept on searching. and Finally we got to one of our favorite slack areas and kept on casting well within 5 minutes my partner hooked in to a nice 23″ walleye in about 16ft of water so we kept working the area and thank god we did we ended up with 12 walleyes between 18-27.5″ off this spot in a short period of time all of our fish came one Chartruese Pepper ringworms and Chartruese Bucktails with the execption of the biggest one weighing in at 7.6lbs that one came on a FireTiger Ringin Grub.

so after having a blast with those fish we decided to move on and hopefully find a few more spots so we stuck around the same area with the same presentations and caught a few more fish but nothing close to what we had earlier.

Well with the Busy Construction season rolling around on us my partner and I figured we had no time to prefish the rest of the week so we were once again hoping the bite would stay.

Saturday TOURNEY DAY

well agian unlike Sunday we pulled up to the ramp and it was 8 degrees and the wind a blowing and 23 boat registerd to fish and give it a try. so due to our past Prefishing we decided to head back down river and hope those big fish were still in the area.

well when we got down to our area we only had three boats to compete with so we all had our own little spots and presentations well after about 3hrs of working our spot we still had nothing in the box but we did see a few fish being caught near by so we decided to switch presentations and go with what was working. well we tryed and tryed but still could not come up with anything and it was getting pretty frustrating watching these guys catch fish in front of us and we could not get anything to bite but then finally around noon I set the hook and feel a decent fish but before I know it the line snaps and now with the wind cold and how frustrated we were we didn’t know what to do but we decided to keep on sticking it out we knew there were nice fish in the area we just had to get them to bite. and yet agian I look up and see the boat infront of my set the hook but all of sudden somthing doesn’t look right I see that he caught some fishing line and then I see his partner grab the line and start to pull it in.(one thinks no big deal hes just getting the junk out of the water) Wrong he brings it in and it has a fish on the end of it. and I go no more than 10ft and he turns around and asked it that was my red line. I said yes well he said you had a good 2lb fish on the end of it.

well at that time I looked at my partner and sayed we need to do something else we have watched these boats catch some nice fish heck there even catching our fish. but we need to do something we atleast need to get a fish to get some points. so we left and headed to the dam. to drag jigs 5 min in to that todd ended up getting us a 2.5lb walleye and several other short fish so we got our fish for our points at this point we were darn happy to put a fish in the boat. actually we were so happy when I took the fish to put it in the live well I opened the door and threw it in (so I thought) well a little while longer goes by and I tell todd to make sure the water is pumping so he looks and says yes the water level is good but where the heck is the fish? Well here I was so tickled pink to get a fish in the boat we open up the Battery compartment and here is the 20″ walleye laying on top of the batteries

and after we got that fish were it belonged in was time to go weigh in agian with one fish to show for our efforts. But let me tell you after this kind of day you are darn proud of that fish.

and at the weigh in we were anxious to see how those other 3 boats that we started the day with ended up. and well it was just one of those things we were in the right place but couldn’t get the bites those three boats ended up 1st-3rd with some impressive weights way to go guys you guys pulled some nice fish out of some bad conditions.

In conclusion:

well the one fish ended up giving us 20th place at 2.5lbs

again not one of our better tourneys and a very frustrating one but alot of fun and very educational to say the least. but most of all I just want to say a big thank you to my partner Todd Peterson for sticking with me no matter what the conditions are this guy is a true fisherman no matter how cold or what he will always be there with a smile on his face.

Well I see we got plenty of time to do some homework and some serious prefishing before our next tourney (APRIL 2 and 3rd WWA) and hopefully I have a better report for you guys then.

until the next tourney keep a line wet for me.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I see too much work & working boat shows and not enough time in the new boat is getting to you Bud. Will have to give you a crash course on the layout of your new boat before the next tourney so you know where the livewell is. [couldn’t resist that one, lol] Have to admit that this would be a good reason for me to get to try your new boat out. Thanks for the report. I was freezing up on shore at the weigh in so I can imagine how frozen the guys who fished the tourney were. Jon J. will have some pics to post that I took with his camera too when he gets a chance

Thanks, Bill

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

yes now that boat shows are done and well work is never done but hopefully I will have more time to be on the water.

and yes it was chilly but atleast we didn’t break anything.

and I will also try to get some pics of our fish for the next tourney to post but sometimes it hard when theres

boats near by and you do not want them to notice you catching fish.

I know we would of liked to have some pics of last weekends fish but just wasn’t possible with out putting up a big flag that says hey there over here. but ohwell well try to get some for the next report to make it a little more interesting.

Crankbait

Hey Nate,
    Thanks for the recap! Sounds like a heck of a time you guys had! At least you guys had a good day last Sunday(of course a non-tourney day ).
    Chris

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Thanks for sharing Nate!! I know I was sure ticked I couldn’t be on the river last Sunday. Hopefully this is our last run of cold weather. I’m ready for 40’s and 50’s, makes for re-tying much easier!!!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Nate,
    another thorough report, good luck with your touney season. Jack.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Nate Buddy,

Did you remember your boots???

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

It is really nice to read ”real life reality reports of on the water experiences” when fishing a tournament or just plain fishing. A person doesn’t aways have alot of time to prefish and doesn’t aways get into the big fish so to speak. What it was really like out there and what worked along with what didn’t work provides alot of info that is real. Not just the glamor of the best weights and biggest fish but what is reality for alot of anglers. Thanks for sharing the ”exciting” times and the ”back to reality” times of fishing so to speak.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Speaking of reality, I need to opologize to Dustin for driving over his 3 pound fish while we were boxed in by IDA boats! Jerrad, Dustin & James and Ben and I were packed pretty tight on one drift, and I literally could have netted Dustin’s fish from my boat as he was reeling it in! Could we have kept the weight if we netted it? If so, I’m going to tailpipe James and Dustin, and have Ben net every fish that comes by!
    No really, sorry about that! I should have backed off a bit, but we were busy yacking.
    Tuck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No problem Tuck… we actually thought it was kinda funny as that fish flopped on the surface pretty much down the entire length of the side of your boat… lol That fish didn’t do us any good as it weighed just a tad over 3 lbs and we REALLY needed that big bite. I’ve never caught so many 3.5 – 4.25 lb females without sticking a 5 – 7 lb kicker.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

No big deal Chris . That just happens to be were the fish surfaced. Should have let you net it. It was a 3.4lb fish that did not add to our weight, that was the 6th fish in the livewell and never made it to the scales.

It was nice being able to shoot the stuff and fish around some friends. Good to see Ben had a great time showing the ol man how it’s done

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We lost three fish in the 3 pound range, two were coming in on the top of the water like that. I won’t say what kind of hook it was but when I changed to my dragging hook, we never lost another fish. That is the way it goes sometimes! Ben had a blast. He loved the “Guy” talk afterwards. I had to tell him to forget what he heard, or at least not repeat it to anyone! He is really looking forward to April. Me too!
    Tuck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I saw you guys were pulling some rigs (really light 3-way rigs it looked like) and minnows and some plastics. How did that work out for you guys?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Ben picked out some floating Raps that he thought we should try. We fished two rods with 2 oz. weights and 3 ways & cranks, and two more with bait on 3 ways with 1 ounce. Bait produced 1 keeper and one short fish. Nothing on the Raps. He had never fished that way, and wanted to try. At that point in the day, it was worth a try. All of our bigger fish came on BFT Ringworms, Oyster and Purple&White. We finished the day with plastic, and caught another 3 pounder.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.