Freeze your Butt Tourney Review

• nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Well Guys I know this is a little late but just wanted to share some of our prefishing and tourney details with the rest of you.
    My partner and I started off our prefishing on Sun Feb 28 we mainly concentrated on the dam area with limited success we ended up with 6 legal fish for the day all drifting in 18-20ft with a 1/4 oz jig and a chartruese Pepper Super doo.

Now off to Monday my partner had to work this week and I was off due to my next job was not going to be ready untill Thursday so why not fish.
    Monday it was cold and windy and only myself and one other boat decided to fish this day so I decided to head down
    river I hit many sand flats and inside bends in the river hoping to find some better fish with no success I did end up catching two fish in 17ft of water with a jig and minnow combination right off a major current break off the main channel.
    well after the slow and cold day I decided to take a day off on Tuesday and rig up the handlines and do some billing for work.

Wed The Sun was high and shining all day so I headed back out and stuck it out up at the dam all day. and man what a day I started out the morning casting Ringworms to the rip rap and that awarded me with 2 nice walleyes going 22.5in and 23in so I decided to leave that alone and go handling I concentrated on many depths and current breaks with no success. so I decided to anchor up on the wing dams and give that a try. First cast with a Fire Cracker ring worm bam popped a 22″ walleye and about ten minutes later caught another 20″ so Pulled up the anchor and decided to drag Ring worms. Man was that ever a great decision I started to drag Ringworms up stream with a 1/8 jig and a Fire cracker ring worm in about 8-10 ft of water tight to the rocks well needless to say this presentation put 7 fish in the boat all between 18-27″ and all I could think was man what a awesome day I hope the bite stays. So I decided to hit many other key areas and drag up and down stream with good numbers to follow.

Well now it was time to go back to work for me so our prefishing was done and couldn’t wait until Saturday.

SATURDAY TOURNEY DAY
    well the Freeze your butt tourney was off with 62 boats
    and unlike Wed our best day by far the Sky was cloudy and it was windy so we decided our casting bite was not going to go due to the wind and we were hoping our dragging bite was still going to be productive with out the blue bird skys. So we headed back out up to the dam and dragged and dragged with no success but we decided not to panic and stick with our game plan and hope it payed off well at 12:15 we ended up putting our first fish in the boat a 16.5″ walleye caught on a Purple with white tail ringworm dragging in 16ft water on a clam bed near by so we kept with our game plan and never ended up boating another fish there.
    so we decided to switch things up we went verticle with bait. we ended up catching a few fish but not the ones we wanted. and before we knew it, it was time to head in to weigh in. our day was complete with only one fish for our efforts. well with that one fish I believe we would of ended up finishing 32nd place and no where near the top.
    so after the weigh in my partner and I decided we would have to go home and do our home work and come up with a new game plan for Next Weekends tourney.
    In Conclusion:
    even though we did not bring in a big weight or catch many fish we still had a good time and learned a few things from our own mistakes and from watching others.
    Hopefully we learned enough to help ourselves improve next weekend.
    Well until the next tourney keep a line wet for me.

redneck
    Rosemount

Nate,
    Thanks for the update. It’s good to see how the mind of a Tourney guy works. We were actually fishing up by you early in the day. We didn’t have much luck at all on plastics so after throwing everything at them we started dragging and ended up with 4 but only about 7 lbs. so we didn’t weigh in when we saw what it took to cash a check. We thought about you guys out there fishing the IDA tourney. It was our kind of weather so we were bummed because we passed on that one for financial reasons. I can see how tourney fishing gets in your blood.

Brian Lyons

Hey Nate

Thanks for the reports

I went handlining with Dave Koonce several years ago.When it works, it rocks!! Not for all conditions,but it can sure save the day

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Hi Nate,
    good trip report, go get’em this weekend.
    Jack..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.