• Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

AIM Tour Down to One Tournament this Season
    Jim Kalkofen
    Published February 5, 2013

Walleye First
    Tournament Series
    Part 9, AIM in 2013

Author’s Note: The status of the walleye tournament world with a vision for the future will be explored throughout this series. Industry leaders, observers, participants (past and present), sponsors, professional and amateur anglers, host communities, marine and tackle manufacturers, and tournament organizers will share their wisdom and insights.

Part Nine is a look at the 2013 fishing season and how AIM fits into that tournament picture. AIM is Anglers Insight Marketing, an organization formed by about 75 pro walleye anglers five years ago. Their mission statement reads, “The creation of AIM was generated by concerned anglers and businessmen that felt they had some new ideas that could inject life into the sport.” The Catch-Record-Release practice instituted at AIM proved popular. Walleye tournaments were scheduled throughout the season and were not subject to restrictive slot limits. Photos of fish on official rulers were featured on big screens for the stage shows. The AIM mission statement also reads in part, “…goal of leading the way to new marketing standards and conservation minded tournament practices.”

Today, the future of AIM is uncertain. The AIM website is aimfishing.com, but the latest news is from last August when Sam Anderson and Rick Olson captured first and second respectively at Lake of the Woods. Mercury and Lund pulled their sponsorships this year according to board member Brett King.

He said, “It’s time for us to pull back, regroup, and plan one nice tournament this season.” Board member Mark Martin said plans are still tentative, but a permit is in the works for a July 18-20 event in Oconto, Wisconsin. A similar event was held on Green Bay last year, with each pro bringing a partner. The duo then drew a co-angler/amateur into their boat each competition day. “We drew a big response, and this format should attract about 100 boats this year,” Martin said.

King said, “We could have thrown out a full schedule and cancelled mid-season, but we’re industry people running this thing, and one big event will do this year.” He was impressed with the number of communities that have standing invitations for AIM. “We’ve never been told by any community they didn’t want us. They like the CRR format,” he said, and added, “People don’t understand the costs associated with CRR.”

Martin said, “I love our format. I will fish weigh-in circuits, but it’ll be hard to go back caring for fish in the livewell. CRR assures 100 percent survival, and there is much less stress worrying about fish in the boat.”

Acting as AIM interim executive director, King is fielding phone calls at 507-456-4130 and responding to emails at [email protected]. Former AIM executive director Joe Baron served up until a few months ago. “Where we’re at is not for lack of effort,” King said, “I’m spending more time on this than my regular job.”

He remains optimistic, and said the board has been dealing with a group of investors considering their options of purchasing the organization. “The potential for these big-time hitters is real, and if it does happen, AIM will be alive and well,” King said. “I can’t believe how much time this all takes.”

Martin echoed King’s sentiments, and said, “For AIM to grow, we need major sponsors, and hopefully, the new owners will take the reins and charge ahead. We really need TV and a format like the PWT used to have.” Speaking of television exposure for the circuit and the pro anglers, he said, “If nobody knows about it, it didn’t happen. I wonder if we shouldn’t have spent our rainy-day fund on TV early-on. A tournament circuit definitely needs media behind it.”

He continued saying, “Hindsight is great. We had the money at one time with 75 investors each putting $5,000 into the pot. We expected sponsors to come aboard, but they wanted bang for their bucks. If we had money now, we’d know where to spend it.”

Looking at 2013, Martin said, “We could keep going, but guys exchanging money with minimal media and no money left for the AIM organization won’t work. That’s why one solid tournament with good payouts is planned. We will keep our hat in the ring this year.” For the latest details about Oconto, stay in touch with King.

Bassn Dan

Besides TV, a Walleye oriented magazine would give them additional exposure for sponsors and fill the void left by FLW shutting down their magazine.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

This is too bad. I like the format, and a lot of the players in the game. I still say a grass roots organization needs to be formed to help keep Walleye tournaments alive.

Anglers can’t afford thousands for entry fees and sponsors can’t afford 10’s or hundreds of thousands for sponsorship. The FLW Walleye League was a great place/format for people trying to take that next step. Now days, you’re either fishing small local events, the MWC, or full blown pro circuit.

I wish AIM the best, and really thought the 3 person event last year had a chance to really push things forward for them. I hope they’re able to pull through this and find a way to keep it going.

Good Luck AIM

292-sparky
    White Bear Lake, MN

The biggest problem with AIM and sponsorships is that they have never had a vehicle to showcase any sponsor. No TV, No magazine and very little promotion.

I like AIM, have fished one and I want them to come back next year. I wish them the best in the future.

huskerdu

Its all about what you can do for the sponsors.
    The concept is great (catch and release) but plays poorly for TV unless the camera is in the boat. I like the format of the new bass fishing show were all the fisher people know what the others have caught/weighed real time. I believe Jack Links is a major sponsor. I don’t bass fish and I will watch just to see Ike scream across the lake and watch the reaction of the others in the competition!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

WIFI compatible camera and a cell phone with a hot spot.

…and no swearing.

Quote:

I like the format of the new bass fishing show were all the fisher people know what the others have caught/weighed real time.

I think you may be on to something there!

Unfortunately, Walleye fishing is a regional activity whereas Bass fishing is Nationwide. This will obviously affect viewership ratings and ultimetly limit sponsorship exposure. It’s no secret why a majority of the sponsorhip dollars in the industry go towards the Bass side.

In order to build a sucessful television program and increase viewership, I feel that it’s important to find a way to capture the interest of other viewers besides Walleye anglers.

Perhaps something such as a real time leaderboard could build additional suspense and competition to keep the average viewer more interested?

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Quote:

Unfortunately, Walleye fishing is a regional activity whereas Bass fishing is Nationwide. This will obviously affect viewership ratings and ultimetly limit sponsorship exposure. It’s no secret why a majority of the sponsorhip dollars in the industry go towards the Bass side.

This is true, but even if bass fishing was limited to the same regional area as walleye fishing it’d still get a majority of the sponsorship dollars in the industry. It’s time to face the reality of the situation, bass fishing is a helluva lot more interesting and entertaining! Pulling boards or any trolling is so much more boring than 95% of methods you could ever catch a bass on.

2iceman
    Gem Lake, Minnesota

I sure am looking forward to fishing this Derby! This is a great opportunity for people that want to fish a Pro/Am format tournament and be able to split the cost with a partner. Another bonus is the CRR format, the guy who catches the biggest fish wins! Brett King, my goal is to beat you again! LOL! Come and try this format out guys and girls you will have a blast!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.