GNWC Heads To Clear Lake Iowa

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

For Immediate Release Gander Mountain Grand National Walleye Cup Heads to Clear Lake for First Qualifier By Steve Weisman GNWC Publicity Director Teams competing in the Iowa Region of the Gander Mountain Grand National Walleye Cup (GNWC) are busy preparing for the first qualifier of the year at Clear Lake, Sunday, April 25. According to GNWC director Bernie Barringer, Clear Lake is a traditional walleye hotspot in northern Iowa. “As it always is, weather will be a big factor. Last year, we had a downpour and strong winds. Hopefully, this year we can get a stable weather pattern. If we do, I know these teams will put on quite a show.” The tournament hours are 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Weigh-in begins precisely at 3 p.m., with awards to follow. “I encourage people to attend the weigh-in both for the excitement of seeing the baskets of fish brought to the scale, and to hear the teams explain the presentations they used to trigger the fish,” added Barringer. Openings still exist for the Clear Lake qualifier, and Barringer encourages interested anglers to contact him at 1-800-890-FISH (3474), or email the GNWC at [email protected]. “The Iowa Region looks to be as strong as always. I think we have pick waters that will be both challenging and fun for the teams to fish.” According to Barringer, competing teams should be at MacIntosh Woods State Park between 6-6:30 Sunday morning to sign in and participate in mandatory boat inspections. However, the tournament director will have the GNWC trailer at the check-in site from 6-8 p.m. on Saturday evening to answer questions and to take any late registrations. Host bait shop will be Dome Bait. Barringer shared his excitement about the 2004 season for the eight-region partner circuit. “Although we have been in Iowa for many years with the Iowa Walleye Tournament Trail, this is the second year for the GNWC, and we are looking forward to more and more teams joining what we think is the most exciting partner walleye circuit in the country. We are also very excited about the enthusiasm of the sponsors. It’s been great to see the way top national fishing companies have cast their support behind Gander Mountain GNWC walleye tournament anglers.” Another important part of the circuit is the GNWC website (www.walleyecup.com), which offers detailed information for both Gander Mountain GNWC members and Internet browsers. The site includes detailed scheduling information on locations and host communities, tournament results and highlights, how-to articles, along with a message board and free classifieds for members. Title Sponsor for the GNWC is Gander Mountain with other major national sponsors including Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, the Sportsman Channel, Berkley, Aqua Innovations, YoNet Folding Nets, VIB”E” Lure Company, TowTector Shield and UpNorth Outdoors.com. Iowa Regional sponsors include Carlson-Sanderson Real Estate, Motor Inn, Inc., and Triggs Bay Resort.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Wade Kuehl and I will be at Clear Lake on this week-end helping a couple of teams look for eyes and a good pattern.Last year I fished this event and we got pounded and the water with high winds and rain.I wish my old buddies Brian Kemp and Terry Mitchell the best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

bigb
    Des Moines IA

I’ll be up pre-fishing on April 22 through the 24th. I will probably have an open spot on my boat the 22nd. I should be there by noon. Leaving Des Moines early am. Depends on what time the wife kicks me out. You can call me at 515-306-4964. Hunt for eyes for awhile then some yellow bass.

Good luck to all the teams. Hopefully we have better weather this year.

See ya!

Brian

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.