weekend on p4

• mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

Fished p4 this weekend. Sat. was slow for our boat with 3 saugers. Sun. I had to go solo, got on the water around 1:00 fished till 5:00. Got my PB on pool 4 a fat 22″ eye,probably an average fish on p4. Caught 7 more walleye between 15″ & 17″ and one sauger. Fished between everts and the dam, stayed on the break between 18 to 20 fow, with a 1/8 oz jig with meat. Had to stay as vertical as possible with a very slow presentation. All fish were released on sun.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Way to stick with it, just because one day doesn’t pan, won’t mean the next day will be a bust…

rapalafisherman
    St. mary's point/Bemidji, MN

Ya Saturday you out fished me. Your lucky Sunday I didn’t wake up I woulda pounded em. Every thing caught on meat. Damn ringworms don’t work. At least not for me

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Damn ringworms don’t work. At least not for me

Not sure how you were fishing them or the time of day you were fishing ’em but dragging ringworms lately is a good bite. Keeping the bait away from the boat in this clear water is 1 key to a successful day of fishing. Dont give up on them they are 1 of the best weapons in the arsenal

rapalafisherman
    St. mary's point/Bemidji, MN

I was jigging em nice and slow and pitchin into shore. I use em on the croix all the time but when it comes to pool 4 they don’t get the job done for me. I’ve used about every color there is too.

riverwrat
    Hastings/ Northfeild,MN

Keep trying, my buddy and i dont buy any minnows unless were in a tourney! Try reeling them in slow when pitching them in the cool water and try to get the lightest jig that ur not getting hung up.You wanna try to keep them off the bottum a little in most cases especillay in rocks. Walk them down the break, water warms up lifting and dropping them can get a eye to crush it and its a bite you should’t miss!! Hope this helps a little?

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

great advice, one thing about p4 is you need to fish whenever you can, conditions change down there from one day to the next. The next “thunk” could be the fish we all look for you never know.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

great advice, one thing about p4 is you need to fish whenever you can, conditions change down there from one day to the next. The next “thunk” could be the fish we all look for you never know.

Exactly. As you know, I’m not a big walleye guy, but a weekend ago we were using an underwater camera. We were coming up from behind walleye and normally they would spook when I was within inches of the fish. The water is so clear, I could see them spook over ten feet away.

I can’t say they saw the camera coming in from behind like that, it may have been the boat that spooked them.

All I know for sure is that about the time the front end of the boat was over them, they started swimming away. I think a spooked fish is a fish that isn’t going to bite.

*Disclaimer I make no claim to understand the behavior of a scaly fish.

fishalot31
    Brooklyn Park

Quote:

Ya Saturday you out fished me. Your lucky Sunday I didn’t wake up I woulda pounded em. Every thing caught on meat. Damn ringworms don’t work. At least not for me

I was down there last sunday and Ringworms were the ticket. We had three guys in the boat and they were throwing meat and I had one rod with meat and the other with a ringie. The ringie outfished the meat 3 to 1. I ended up with 23 fish to their combined 6.
    Just keep playing around with the colors. It does make a huge difference once you find the right combination.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.