Another Pool 4 Update

• mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

Well, the boss said we had too much vacation, actually not, but I did have two days to use before the end of the year, soooo – off to the river with one of my co-workers.

9:00am we hit the water and headed towards lock #3 to find three other cold weather fans out fishing. Numbers of fish are possible, smaller fish mixed in with bigger fish etc, the standard for this time of year with many fish in the 16-19″ range.

How was the bite you ask? About the only color I didn’t catch a fish on was pink – had to try – why not they bit on all the other colors today. Our best luck did come on chartruese pepper superdoo and chartruese green glitter. We also caught a number of fish on purple/chartruese paddle tail, green paddle tail, orange and chartruese ring worm. Like I said almost any color we dropped down seemed to be working.

I’m not sure exactly how many fish we caught, guessing between 30-40, let’s call it 40 since this is a fishing story. Two limits of saugers made it home for pan today. We were off the water at about 1:30pm.

A nice way to spend a day of vacation before the end of the year.

Happy New Year to all – Mike

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Thanks for the update sounds like a great day

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I bet BK could have caught fish on a pink lure….

Jeff Harecy
    Hager City, Wi.

Not a pink blade bait.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

By the way z, thanks for the post. Were did you put in? And how did the motor work? Never fished this late (or early) on open water, but I’m only two battery hook ups away from doing so.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Glad you had a good day Mike….the super-doo is always a go-to winter winner!

Happy New Year!

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

Quote:

Were did you put in? And how did the motor work?

Launched at Everts, not sure where else you would want to launch once it get’s cold. I see the back channel parking lot was plowed, but I don’t normally launch there since there is no dock.

As for the motor, you have to like fuel injection. Started right up and ran just like any other day.

My rule is 20 deg or warmer for the river and you need to watch the wind, it really cuts if it’s over about 10 mph.

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

Quote:

My rule is 20 deg or warmer for the river and you need to watch the wind, it really cuts if it’s over about 10 mph.

I’ve put in with temps down to 5-degrees with no problems. The wind is the major factor dictating your comfort.

You just want to let the motor warm up for a bit and also make sure you get all of the water out of the motor when you’re done.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Don`t forget to plug up all the livewell intakes so the pumps don`t freeze and bust.

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

Quote:

Don`t forget to plug up all the livewell intakes so the pumps don`t freeze and bust.

Words of wisdom

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.