Spring Lake Access???

• micah-witham
    Richfield

Made my way as far south as I ever have on P2 last night in the Moore’s contest to the head of Spring Lake. TAking some guys fishing tomorrow morning and wanted to spend some time there without traveling by boat…anyone used the Spring Lake Access and is it doable in a 16.5 Tuffy?
    Any info would be great.
    micah

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

with how low the water is, it is doable, but you’ll have to back half way into the lake to get your boat off the trailer. unless it is somewhat light and you have a roller trailer…

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

I am not really familiar with the spring lake access. Where is it?

perch_44

Quote:

I am not really familiar with the spring lake access. Where is it?

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Micah, I don’t think you’ll get your boat on/off there. Best bet would be to launch at Hastings and lock through.

I don’t like trying to put a jon boat in there.

Jami

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Ritter is right,also it can get a bit sketchy making your way out to the channel if you are not familiar with the area. St.paul park is not a bad run either

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Ritter is right,also it can get a bit sketchy making your way out to the channel if you are not familiar with the area. St.paul park is not a bad run either

Wow, you admitted that in public…..

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Thats right buddy! and it’s not always your fault either,no matter what zippi says

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Thats right buddy! and it’s not always your fault either,no matter what zippi says

lol

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I launched there Sunday we used a buddies s-16 on a roller trailer and an atv to launch. He lives on the road to the boat landing. We did not want to risk burying my F-250 diesel in the sand there are cement slabs but you must back past them onto the lake bed. His trailer is roller so we pushed it off and winched it on. It couldn’t be floated off the trailer. I would not recommend launching a nice glass boat there ever. His neighbors uses a farmall tractor to launch so he dosn’t get hung up with a truck. Spring lake is also very shallow and filled with snags timber and sandbars. We spend a great deal of time getting out of the boat and walking over obstructions and shallow spots. YOu can head to the main channel from that launch but I wouldn’t recommend over trolling speed till you figure out a safe route. In the past some duck hunter have marked paths accross the lake with wood stakes and reflectors to allow traveling in the dark. It is not a good place at all in the dark if you are catting.

Mwal

perch_44

i launch my duck boat in there all of the time, and never once have buried my truck by backing in past the slabs…

once you launch, it is fairly deep in the main basin of the lake. once you start getting close to the islands, it will start to get shallow in a hurry. you do have to watch out for timber though throughout the entire lake. but, it is not as scary of a launch as some are making it seem. i’ve never hit anything running an outboard or my mudmotor in the main basin of the lake, and that is running to the western shoreline, and the main channel. just look out for logs floating is all.

its just getting your boat on and off the trailer is going to be a pain down there. if you can figure that part out, the rest is smooth sailing.

and don’t ever trust any markers people put out. people have been known to purposely put these in bad spots so you beach your boat when running out to a hunting spot in the morning… so i’ve been told…

you’d be better off launching at st paul park. its a 5 minute boat ride to SLP from there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.