Pool 14 Friday afternoon

• jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I hit the river today around 1:30 , the pleasure boats were everywhere. It must have woke the walleyes up, I pulled 7 eyes of the first dam I fished. I caught them on 3-ways and pitching jigs. Crawlers and leeches produced equally. I hit a few more dams and ended up at 4:30 with 14 eyes total. I had 5 keepers and the rest a mix of overs and shorts. There really are some very stupid people operating pleasure craft. I watched several people pulling skiers and tubers right over top of wingdams. I don’t understand how you could not see them the wind was really showing them today. Some of these dams are pretty shallow right now, if you crashed on top of one with skies it would tear you apart. You would think they would not pull a tuber 20 ft from your boat when you are fishing to , but I guess there is no cure for stupid.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Sounds like a real nice afternoon, after all you caught some good eats. I wanted to get out this morning before my wife decided to go out for breakfast with my mother and grand daughter. The rain stopped later in the morning and I didn’t want to put up with the rookies like you did. I am not tolerant of the idiots like I was years ago.

Again congratulations on the eaters.

Moo

Welp Jigfan your right on the money…Doing the summer days I try an hit the water by 5-5:30 and be OFF by 11:00 hopefully with a limit of eaters…

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

WOW! thats some awesome fishing ! What are you running for a 3 way set up ?????????

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I’m running a 1/2 ounce jig with a crawler on a 12 inch drop and a phelps floater with a large leech about 4 ft. back.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Do you troll that across the face ? do many fish come off the jig or mostly the floater?thanks for the info.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

Yes, I work the face with my trolling motor. It is a day to day thing , one day they prefer the jig the next the floater. It is close to 50/50 over all.

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

We had six keepers on Fri. and twelve on Sat. Released 3 fish over 20″. All came on crawlers and jigs. And you are right about the boaters. Fri. we had a guy watersking right where we were fishing. He must have passed within 20 feet of us a coulple of times. Some people don’t have a clue! At least on Sat., because of the rain, they left us alone. The water is starting to clear up and the walleyes are hungry. I’m lovin it. I haven’t been out for a couple of weeks because my wife has been sick. This was a great return to the river. Hopefully they will stay for a while.

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

The bite was still on Sunday. But the boaters were insane! I had a guy pull up and anchor not 50 ft from us. I am guessing he saw us pulling some nice walleyes out and figured he would do the same. I saw him catch two drum . Jig and crawler took most of our fish with casting/trolling cranks across the face taking a few. The biggest was 20 inches and most were in the 16 to 19 range with a few dink sauger. All in all we boated about 20 all day, we stopped counting after we released what would have been a nice limit of fish. The water was alot more clear than last weekend and the flow is definately down. I can’t wait to make it back up and hopefully on a non-holiday.

riverking
    se iowa

the bite was still on monday as well. caught several slot fish and several 14.5″ fish as well as some eaters. caught all my fish trolling rock in 10-13 FOW with jointed fire tiger wally divers.

johnt
    Clinton County, Iowa

Congrats on the C-boat. Post a pic.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.