Pool 4 Dec 23 (w/eagle pix)

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I finally did make it down to the river yet again… of course on a cold front day!…. but the fishing was pretty much as Ive heard… maybe a bit slower though.. we probably had 30 fish for 3 guys (though 2 newbies were in the boat!) half of those fish were 15″+.. up to 19″.. all were on SuperDoos.. pearl blue in the morn and chartruese pepper once the sun was up… the biggest fish were all shallower than 22″ though we did get some 15″+ in up to 27″….. when the sun was high the fishing slowed like it often does.. so I grabbed the Canon and started to blast em…
    this one says your too close…. Im out of here…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

now he’s cruising!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

heres an Imature cruising way over head…

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice shots Ken. When its cold enough here for the river to freeze ice except around the immediate dam curents you can see eagles everywhere. A few years ago i counted around 90 eagles in a miles drive from the open water below the lower dam. All were feeding on dying shad washing over the spillway. Lots of nice things to see in winter too.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

WOW !!! You sure know how to take great pics. Thanks, Bill

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

WOW. Great pics.

pool4newbie

real nice pics!! what kind of camera,lens and film do you use? i’m about to go buy a new camera myself and take some pics soon!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Pool 4, Ken will have to give you the specifics, but he has a high end Digital camera, with interchangeable lenses. He has put some terrific pictures on here, and we hope he continues doing so. If you are in the camera market, take a SERIOUS look at a 3.1 meg or higher digital. Jack.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Nice pics Ken.

Gator Hunter

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

HI Pool 4…
    Jack is right… Im using a Digital SLR… the Canon Digital Rebel… Ive been real happy with it.. I have 2 interchangeable lenses right now.. and a 3rd is on the way…. they are nothing special as lenses go… the canon SLR faithful will tell you to get “L” glass… they are VERY exspensive… but take unparraleled pix…. Im shooting with the 18-55 “kit” lens that comes with the Rebel and the Sigma 70-300mm APO II, in the mail is the “Bigma”… the 50-500mm APO… which is a real best… I wanted the smaller, lighter, cheaper lens anyway…. so I will have both the 70-300 AND the Bigma… for flexibility….. the eagles I shot today were all at least 150′ away…. with your standard digital camera you would be hard pressed to take some nice shots…. but if you have a 10 x… with an equiv somewhere around the 300mm range you would do pretty good… sometimes the Eagles at Redwing get downright friendly… and if your ready you can get some tremendous shots….. on my next trip down there I will see how the Bigma fairs… but till then I was able to sift a couple of gems out of the 70+ shots I took today….. I DO have a few more… but.. well… this ISNT the Eagle forum… so I just posted a couple of my best and let it go at that….
    also.. I hear Canon is going to release 20 new models this year!… they intend to capture the market.. so this may be THE year to get into digital if you have not already…. Jack is also right about 3+megs… my cameras are both 6M cams and that really helps when you do a digital zoom…..

pool4newbie

yeah i’m just getting into digitals myself…how much would i be lookin to spend for a decent camera and a nice lens?

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

NOW THERE IS A PIX. I DID A LOT OF CAMERA WORK IN SCHOOL, AND THE SRL IS STILL THE WAY TO GO. WITH WHAT YOU HAVE HERE IS JUST GREAT! LOOK AT THE COLOR ON THE WINGS OF THAT BIRD. THATS JUST SUPER! WE ARE LOOKING AT A NEW CAMERA, DID NOT KNOW OF A SRL DIGY. THINK WE WILL REGROUP AND CHECK THIS OUT . SUPER PIX!!!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

the slr Digital Rebel can be had if you shop around for $899 including the 18-55 “kit lens”….. the 70-300 APO Sigma I have was $170… for Christmas I got the Sigma 50-500 which Im sure was obtained for around $770…. as you can see interchangeable lenses on the SLRS can add up in a hurry…..
    However I did get a chance to get my hands on the Fuji S5000 that was given to my daughter as a Christmas gift… it has a 10X optical zoom…. and was bought for just under $400, which included the camera, a nice bag, lens cleaning kit, and a 128M card…. for another $90 you can add the olympus tcon17 which would give your total optical zoom a factor of 17X… which Im guessing would be close to a 500mm equivalent…. which is some serious reach… for not too much money….. sure the canon can outperform it… but on a price/performance scale it might get its rump kicked….. plus as Ive mentioned canon is determined to take the digital market by storm this year… so for SURE there is going to be some dramatic entries into the market this year… in fact.. Im seeing signs that this could be a pivital year in the digital market…..

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Nice to see you made ‘er out again, oh mastah of peekchah! Those are truly astounding shots!!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Nice shots Ken!
    I can honestly say that I am not sure I have ever seen such brillinat colored photos of that beautiful bird before…until now!

Once agian…AWESOME~

letsgo

I don’t know much about cameras, but know a great picture when I see it. Outstanding!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.