P4 Sauger action 12/28/08

• Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

After a long wait to hit the river again. Hunting Season seems to get in the way. I made it down to Everts with my dad to put the smack down on the fish. After th eup date on baits to try and Deans new paddle tails we hit the water. On the way up to the dam area my water pump went out. A nioce start to the day. So We ended up putting the rest of the way to the fishing grounds. With a few other boats already fishing we joined in. The fish were cooperative all day. Starting with smaller fish and increasing in size. I notice my Dad in the back of the boat not getting bit and I was putting on a clinic. I figured it was the swing of the boat as I was working the MInn Kota. He joined my up front and it was lights on for the both of us. We ended with a limits of fish for the pan and 40-50 for the afternoon. A nice day. We putted back to Everts to end the day. Now I just need the motor repaired to make it down after the New Year. Thank you Dean for the advice as it is always right on. I will bring some cookies down the next time.

jhalfen

The 225 paddletails strike again!

Thanks for the update

riverfan
    MN

Mike,

You and your Dads observation on the effect of the wandering end of the boat is the perfect example of how important boat control is. The trolling motor is the pivot point so it’s the most stable. Being at the swing end of the makes it difficult to stay perfectly vertical which is key. There are times when a side-to-side movement can trigger a bit, but most of the time straight down is best. Well done!

John

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Sorry about the motor problems.

Way to go making the adjustments to get Dad in on the action! Now if my fishing partner was watching that happen to me,he just would have and does quite frequently,just laughed at me for not catching anything. Good to hear the 225’s caught a fish or two for ya.But even better sounding news is cookies are coming!

jhalfen

Quote:

Being at the swing end of the makes it difficult to stay perfectly vertical which is key

Good point John. The way I deal with this issue, rather than have the whole boat fish out of the bow, is to make sure the guy(s) in the stern are using a heavier jig than the guy(s) in the bow. If I’m using 1/4 up front, the guys in back might switch up to 3/8, and so on. That won’t compensate for crappy boat control, but it will make the horizontal swings of the bait much less pronounced for guys that are fishing away from the trolling motor.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Talked to the repair shop and they wanted to wait until spring they said it wss too cold. I said I fish all winter . Get on it. So they are looking at it tommorow AM. Too Cold to float a boat on pool 4 crazy! Can’t wait to hit it after the new year.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I will bring some cookies down the next time.

Dean gave you tips without the bribe of cookies?? Amazing…he must have just finished the batch that was intended for me.

Note to self…when a boat is coming back from the dam at very slow speed…ask them if they need a tow.

Sorry Cedar, I though you guys were just cold and going slow to avoid the wind.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.