Weed Walleyes

• KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

I’ve been off the main channel and casting swim jigs for bass the last couple times out. Tonight on pool 6 I picked up a couple 15″ walleyes back in a pretty shallow and weedy bay. The first one clobbered my swim jig, so then I scrambled to find something else to throw at them before the sun went down. The 2nd one inhaled a firetiger Rattlin Rap.

Now I’m wondering what else I could try in this spot. It’s only about 4-5 feet deep with enough weeds to make casting crankbaits tough.

Any ideas for weed walleyes?

It was a fun couple hours. I caught three small largemouths, a couple northerns (lost a nice one) and the two bonus walleyes which now have my wheels spinning wondering how to put together an efficient pattern for catching more.

Don DeShong

How about a floating frog? This could be a very exciting experience when your frog gets busted.

LabDaddy1

Weedless bass tactics. Or bobber and bait at key times.

The frog idea sounds crazy but could work. I’ve caught four walleyes and a nice channel cat on topwaters on pool 2 in the last few years.

Bertha

Weightless Texas rigged flukes. Let sink and twitch pause retrieve back

That was a top presentation in shallow water when I lived in Texas along with the weightless Texas rigged Grande Bass Rattlesnake.

tim hurley

Texas rigged 4” senko, find one with a yellow tail, safety pin bass spinner, worked slow.

LabDaddy1

Weightless Texas rigged flukes. Let sink and twitch pause retrieve back

That was a top presentation in shallow water when I lived in Texas along with the weightless Texas rigged Grande <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Bass Rattlesnake.

I used to love throwing a weightless fluke on a wide gap hook for bass in Florida. Such beautiful action almost makes ME want to swine after it and eat it jester

Deuces

Hopefully when I hit the Croix this weekend I’ll be employing these tactics, flooded out grass and timber in the right spots are dynamite for eyes.

Standard jig is go to, can rig it weedless with a fathead if you string hook thru mouth out gill and penetrare barb in back. Jig and ringworm is #2, essentially texas rig it on a longer shanked light jighead, this works good for timber. #3 are bfishntackle dragin jigs, your choice of meat. Just got my order of draggins in the mail today and ready to rock toast

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Looks like the last time the OP posted anything was 9yrs ago, he made this post almost 15yrs ago, wonder if he ever found a good pattern.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.