Lake Pepin update

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Spent 2 days on the lake this past weekend and man the fish are starting to really snap finally out there it is lookin like. Water temp of 64-66 degrees was the normal….I trolled leadcore all weekend along the 14ft- 22 ft. break and caught fish in every spot I fished in the lake from one end of the lake to another. The crappies as well are on the chew for bleeding shad raps it seems as of late ,too. The speed I presented the baits at was 2-2.6 MPH depending on depth. The trick if ya run leadcore is when you gou up the brake and get further on top the flat (shallow) than you intended to speed up to 3+ MPH and this allows you to sweep the lead up to prevent the line as well as the bait from dragging across the bottom of the lake. I am finding quite a few lower 20″ fish in deep water in the middle of nowhere which can make for a borring search but as soon as ya marked a school of fish I marked the waypoint and we would figure 8 the spot until we lost them. I have to say Saturday was a MUCH better bite than yesterday. I spent most the day looking for size yesterday but after leaving the Lake City area we were back onto some quality fish again after we made a long run in some bumpy water. Overall the weekend was awsome and got to try out the new kicker on the boat and all I ahve to say is once you get one you will never troll off your console the boat control is unreal from the back. Plan to be up all next weekend and the following week wednesday till Sunday so if ya see me runnin around do not be affraid to say hi.

sbr_it

If one isn’t trolling with lead core what technique would you use?
    Thanks.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Sounds like a good weekend Erick. Glad to hear the fish are going good on the lake again. I just may venture my way up there this coming weekend. Maybe I will run into you.

Quote:

If one isn’t trolling with lead core what technique would you use?
    Thanks.

If it was me, the other options to try would be to long line troll, or 3-way either cranks or live bait.
    If you are fishing 15 feet or shallower I would start with longlining, and if you are deeper than that I would go with the 3-ways.

A few other things you could try would be to pull spinner rigs, or drift over them with a jig and live bait.

siclone
    W. Lakeland

And what new kicker were you trying out???

It’s impossible for me to troll leadcore at a steady clip with either the bow mount or the outboard…

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Congrats on the kicker, T8? Pro Kicker?????

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Did you try trolling the break north of the town of Pepin on the WI side at all? Just curious to know if the fish have moved into that area yet.

Thanks for the report.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Had a Merc. Pro kicker in mind but they had a heck of a deal on an ’07 Mercury 8 HP 4 stroke kicker and I gotta say it works awsome! I used to run my 115 opti max and it did work alright…..but if you were trolling with the wind or anything like that you just got going way to fast to keep the lead in the “strike zone” These fish are still VERy scattered I caught them from 8 ft to 25 ft this past weekend but they seem to be relating pretty snug to points and breaklines still….Hope to see ya down there this weekend Eric I gotta agree with him as well longline some hardline (fireline, power pro, spiderwire) which does allow you to get more depth out of a crank than mono…..3 ways and cranks has done well for me before I started using leadcore as well

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Did you try trolling the break north of the town of Pepin on the WI side at all? Just curious to know if the fish have moved into that area yet.

Thanks for the report.

made 2 passes after leaving the Pickle Factory and did not see a boat and not much for size either yet, but as always there were fish there that are there year around though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.